3 'hens' that are crowing, are they roosters?

i've heard that seabright hens can sometimes start crowing even though they are still laying eggs. but those 'hens' do have the roo feathers coming in the neck and saddle area. sorry

I took out my Delaware rooster to replace him, and put the new rooster in. The hens pecked him, and he hid in the nest box. Now the biggest hen is crowing, and I am sure it is a hen because l have 3 hens and get 3 eggs almost every day. I didn't think hens could crow like that, but I guess so.

Other than the crowing is there definite ways of telling their sex? We have grown very attached to these 3 and would love to keep them, they also do something we call 'the chicken dance' which is where they will look at each other and raise their feathers and then kind of hop around each other, but now thinking of it none of our other chicks do this, and only 2 of these 3 will pick on any of our other hens. They are also the most loving of our flock. Any insight would be great, we will have to make a choice based on their sex on if we can keep them or not.

that sounds like they are trying to size each other up for fighting. they will do that from time to time with no bloodshed. even hens will occasionally do that with those that are trying to move up the pecking order.

The chicken dance where they put one wing down toward the ground, and dance with their feet in circles around another hen or roo....

That is a roo

I have 8 roosters they sound off about the same time then answer each other back and forth some times they will stand in front of each other I think they try to see who can be the loudest lol
I have never heard a chicken crow but I have heard stories that when there isn't one in the flock one hen will crow,

Sorry but they are defiantly roos. I have 15 the same age here.
sad.png

I did have a hen who started crowing. She was an older girl and boss of the yard. When their old roo passed away she started crowing after a while. She stopped after I bought them a new young roo.
smile.png

Quote:
On your Sebright, the comb is a huge giveaway that he is a roo. Sebright roos are "hen feathered" so you won't see the same feather characteristics that you would on other breeds. On your Cochins, the combs and wattles along with the long, skinny, pointy hackle (neck) and saddle (right in front of the tail) that can be seen coming in on your pics are a giveaway. So, yes, besides the crowing there are other characteristics that indicate roo.

Back
Top Bottom