3 hours in the run when under 2 weeks old - ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ssteiner, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    We live in Southern California near the coast and today it was about 67 degrees and sunny. I put the three girls out in their run today for the first time from 1:30 until 4:30 when the sun started to go down. They seemed to have a grand time checking things out and tasting their first juicy bugs. My question is whether it's okay to have done this. They seemed happy and they're back in their brooder now sleeping soundly, but I started having second thoughts after I brought them back in. They're partially feathered, but still have that fluff around their necks - somewhere shy of 2 weeks old. Thanks for any info.

-Scott

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I think thats fine, it was warm !! I wouldnt do it if it was cold and I would keep and eye on them while out. JMO I think its good for them to explore the big world !!

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    If your are going to put them out make sure they have grit and are on med. feed. Chicks are more succeptible to cocci until they are older. Also make sure it is warm.. they should be about 85 degrees or have access to it close by so if they get cold they can get warm. good luck. What kind of chicks do you have. We'd love to see pics. jean

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Chicks need to start in a brooder at 95 degrees for the first week, dropping the temp 5 degrees a week every week thereafter.

At 2 weeks old they should be kept at 85 degrees.

They are not fully feathered until 8 weeks old.

Can't do anything about whats already been done, I wish you luck and healthy chicks, got my fingers crossed for you.

5. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I'm sure they are fine. It was spring, but i would let my chickens be out during the day and even started leaving them out all night, without a light,I think around 5 weeks or so and it would be 40's at night. They now lay me beautiful eggs, they are 8 months. But I don't think I would recommend it to anyone, just because so many keep them under lights etc. But I started with just 5 min a day, then a to few hours, then started bringing them in later each night, until it was all night. They are Rhode Island Reds, and I had 5 of them.

6. ssteiner

ssteiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Orange, CA
    Here's a picture of our three new babies I took just after brining them home. They're a little bigger now. They are also on medicated feed.

If the person who sold them to me got it right, they are, from left to right,

A Delaware
    A Golden Laced Wyandotte
    A Partridge Barred Rock.

[​IMG]

All very cute and being handled daily ... already getting used to people.

-Scott

7. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

It's wonderful weather in California for chicks. If they're in the sun, they'll do fine now. If they're cold, they'll peep peep peep and huddle together. I'm sure they had a lot of fun today....
    I never did keep track of what the temp was in the brooder box (large open cardboard box) for my four chicks. I had a heat lamp and kept it to a height that they looked comfortable.
    Just be sure that you don't forget them outside; it gets a bit chilly quickly when the sun disappears. I'd have to set the oven alarm to remind myself! [​IMG] If you're worried, you can put a little corner of shavings/straw down for them to warm up.

Congratulations on your new chicks!
    Edited to add ~ cute photo! The GLW looks similar to mine... and the Partridge Rock looks about right, also.

Carla

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Those are addorable chicks I love them.

Omran.

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    As long as they have a place to get warmed up if they get cold they will be fine.

My broody takes hers out for a quick once around the yard, and has been doing so for the last couple of weeks, and they are only a couple weeks old. Chickens have been doing this chick raising for quite a few years, so I have to trust she knows what she is doing.

10. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Very cute chickies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by