3 isa browns want nothing to do with me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Samanthac, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Samanthac

Samanthac Hatching

Nov 9, 2019
    hey everyone. I’m very new to chickens but I’m already addicted. So I bought 3 pellets who I adored and they loved me! Well, the newbie I am learned the worst way about what my dog was capable of and they are now in chicken heaven . My husband ran out and adopted 3, 12 month old hens and they want absolutely nothing to do with me or the kids. Any advice on how I tame adult chickens who don’t seem to have had much human interaction?

BullChick likes this.
  2. Ted_Harrell

Ted_Harrell Songster

Sep 23, 2019
    Pembroke North Carolina
    I used to have this issue earlier in the year but I spent more time with them and they came around eventually. I normally don't advise the use of treats but it might help break the ice so to speak. Offer them something in your hand and they might be compelled to be a little more friendly...

Samanthac likes this.
  3. twendt

twendt Songster

Feb 23, 2019
    SE Wisconsin
    Hand feed them treats daily, they will eventually learn you equal good things!

BullChick, Samanthac and Ted_Harrell like this.
  4. Samanthac

Samanthac Hatching

Nov 9, 2019
    I’ve been going out 3x a day to offer meal worm and any treats. They just run from me. I was curious if the treat was just something they had no interest in, so I tried to put it on the ground. They had a field day lol

5. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    I think you have found the trick! If you go out and throw treats to them they learn that you are the wonderful treat giver and will get friendlier as time goes on. Just remember that certain things are not healthy for chickens. I'd treat them with grapes, mealworms, real worms and greens. Once a month I give scratch (mostly corn) but not more often than that. It makes them fat and they stop laying! I would get a chair and scatter your treats around your feet for starters and let them come to you while you sit. After some time you will find they will jump in your lap to get the treats! It just takes time for them to realize you are the provider and love them, they will warm up to people once they know what they are getting! Good luck! :hugs

6. abpatchy

abpatchy Songster

May 1, 2012
    Germany
    Give them time. I bought my chickens from a breeder and he had lots of chickens. I doubt that he spent a lot of time with them or fed them lots of treats. It took quite some time (like 3 month or so) before they would consider eating meal worms from my hand. Just talk to them in a nice way... give them treats. Make sure they see who is bringing the food. I'm sure they'll come around.

BullChick likes this.
  7. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    :welcome
    Sit outside, and read a book or BYC. Even working in the garden (just don’t yell). They will come around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: