3 male turkeys

Mrichard0930

Songster
7 Years
Sep 15, 2016
hey everyone, my fiancé has 3 male turkeys this was an accident picking them as poults. So the one turkey with smallest beard middle size is constantly harassing the smallest in size turkey but he has a bigger beard (not Rue if that matters). The biggest one all around seems to get in he middle defending the smallest when the mean one starts to both smallest. The smallest never struts really he kind of is submissive to the other two. My fiancé thinks the middle mean one maybe needs taken out of the bunch but the concern is if he takes that one out will the biggest one start harassing the smallest ? He’s never owned turkeys so this has been a learning experience. I have two female Pekin ducks in same pen they’re my ducks and I’m getting annoyed the mean turkey sometimes jumps on them I’m worried either the smallest turkey or my ducks are going to get hurt. Any suggestions or information on what maybe happening in this dynamic set up? Thanks

hey everyone, my fiancé has 3 male turkeys this was an accident picking them as poults. So the one turkey with smallest beard middle size is constantly harassing the smallest in size turkey but he has a bigger beard (not Rue if that matters). The biggest one all around seems to get in he middle defending the smallest when the mean one starts to both smallest. The smallest never struts really he kind of is submissive to the other two. My fiancé thinks the middle mean one maybe needs taken out of the bunch but the concern is if he takes that one out will the biggest one start harassing the smallest ? He’s never owned turkeys so this has been a learning experience. I have two female Pekin ducks in same pen they’re my ducks and I’m getting annoyed the mean turkey sometimes jumps on them I’m worried either the smallest turkey or my ducks are going to get hurt. Any suggestions or information on what maybe happening in this dynamic set up? Thanks
Post pictures of the turkeys. Just because a turkey has a beard does not automatically mean it is a tom.

Tom turkeys without any hens are going to try to breed anything they can which is probably why your "mean" turkey is trying to jump on your ducks.

If they all really are toms, your best plan is to eliminate two of the toms whether it is by processing or selling and bring in some hens.

Personally, I don't tolerate mean toms but what I consider a mean tom may not be what you consider a mean tom.

Post pictures of the turkeys. Just because a turkey has a beard does not automatically mean it is a tom.

Tom turkeys without any hens are going to try to breed anything they can which is probably why your "mean" turkey is trying to jump on your ducks.

If they all really are toms, your best plan is to eliminate two of the toms whether it is by processing or selling and bring in some hens.

Personally, I don't tolerate mean toms but what I consider a mean tom may not be what you consider a mean tom.

My fiancé said they’re all def toms. He asked if it’s different that they’re wild eastern turkeys in PA? Yeah we are not agreeing he thinks the mean turkey is pecking at everyone under him because never pecks or bothers the biggest bird. So he thinks he just messing with everyone. (The mean one sometimes charges at my toward for some reason I don’t know why he does that either.) I think he is trying to either mate or purposely hurt my ducks. He kind of jumps up and puts a foot on their back. It’s end of winter here the weather will be breaking in month or two I’m just trying to figure out before I spring what we should do trying to be proactive then reactive after someone get hurts.
Thanks so much for helping

He wanted th as pets. He only wanted one male. It was a gamble picking as poults. He knows three males won’t work so he’s trying to figure out what to do. He does hunt and eat turkeys I just wonder if he’ll be able to do it with them being pets. Times the one is hurting the other it seems it’s easier for him to say I’m going to have to shoot him. Since he’d be protecting the other one. We will see cause now he’s saying people are telling him to let them “fight it out.” Thanks

He wanted th as pets. He only wanted one male. It was a gamble picking as poults. He knows three males won’t work so he’s trying to figure out what to do. He does hunt and eat turkeys I just wonder if he’ll be able to do it with them being pets. Times the one is hurting the other it seems it’s easier for him to say I’m going to have to shoot him. Since he’d be protecting the other one. We will see cause now he’s saying people are telling him to let them “fight it out.” Thanks
Whether it is one or three, it is never a good idea to keep lone male turkeys with other poultry. The best thing to do is to eliminate all but one of the toms and provide that tom with multiple hens. If he does not want to get hens and keep them with one tom, the best thing to do is to get rid of all of the toms. Toms that are kept around other poultry will hurt the other poultry when they try to breed with them. It is breeding season and their hormones are running rampant.

Whether it is one or three, it is never a good idea to keep lone male turkeys with other poultry. The best thing to do is to eliminate all but one of the toms and provide that tom with multiple hens. If he does not want to get hens and keep them with one tom, the best thing to do is to get rid of all of the toms. Toms that are kept around other poultry will hurt the other poultry when they try to breed with them. It is breeding season and their hormones are running rampant.
Yes makes sense - it’s first time turkey owner he said they get trike that but I guess he didn’t realize they would mess with the ducks. I am also surprised because it’s still cold here it snowed today I thought that doesn’t happen until weather breaks. Thanks for help

Yes makes sense - it’s first time turkey owner he said they get trike that but I guess he didn’t realize they would mess with the ducks. I am also surprised because it’s still cold here it snowed today I thought that doesn’t happen until weather breaks. Thanks for help
It has been sub zero and snow is still on the ground here. My toms were at it in late January. It is more of a daylight hours thing than a temperature thing.

Listen to @R2elk. Not only can tom turkeys injure other fowl while attempting to breed them they can inadvertently kill them. The only REAL solution is to get rid of two of the toms and get some turkey hens. You have valid reason to be concerned for your ducks.

Back
Top Bottom