3 mommas, one brooder box?

WhatTheCluck89

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
Ottawa, Ontario, Beautiful Canada
Hi friends, I need some advice.

I recently let my broody chicken (copper maran, well call her chicken#1) hatch some eggs, and only one hatched. I separated them from the flock, her and the chick are in the brooder together with chick feed and water.

I also let some silkies hatch some eggs because they were just so good at sitting on eggs all day I figured I'd let them try. They were much more successful and both moms are sort of sharing eggs/ chicks. These babies hatched exactly a week after the first one hatched. There are 5 so far, they hatched this morning just waiting to see if the other eggs hatch.

My question is, should I put all the babies under mom #1 ?
She is doing a good job with the single baby and is closer to the top of the pecking order vs the silkies ( whom live on the other side of the coop, away from the big mean birds).
I'm wondering if mom#1 will be better for when I attempt to reintroduce them because she is pretty aggressive.
Also interested in opinions on when to introduce them to the rest of the flock if they are all infact raised by mom#1.

I would not give the new chicks to the first mom. She will probably peck them and may kill them.

Back
Top Bottom