3 month evaluation

I have been hoping for more info and posting on California Whites. I have my first pair at about 16 weeks now. They are soooo flighty and independent! Both of them, “Big” and “Little” (who are getting harder and harder to tell apart). Fine by me so far so long as they visit more in the wild grass patch and less in the raised beds…

If I understand correctly, this breed was created to fill the need for a commercial quality white layer that was less flighty and better suited to pastured egg production than the commercial strain Lehorns.

They don't seem to be very popular with backyard chicken keepers, but I find them fun.

I'm new to being a chicken mama. I researched a lot before finally deciding to start with 10 RIRs. We got them from our local Ace Hardware (pretty sure they came from Hoover's Hatchery). They are 17 weeks old now, and I have 3 that I believe may start laying soon (one who is really showing signs). I won' t say that ALL are 'sweet' but some are very very sweet, and others are more shy. So far, none are aggressive. They get into little 'spats' from time to time with each other, but those last 2 seconds and done. I cannot even determine a pecking order amongst them. If I pull up a chair and sit with them, the most friendly ones will jump up on my lap (and sometimes compete for their 'lap space'). We do have one that thinks my husband is 'hers' and displays that jealousy to any who have jumped up on his lap. I will say that most will shout their displeasure at being handled without an invitation, but they aren't mean in any way (they don't try to bite--they just cry about it). Maybe we just got lucky. Maybe the time we spent every day with them as chicks built up trust in humans. Maybe their personalities will change when they start laying (maybe even for the better?). Either way, my only regret in choosing 10 RIRs is that I have to put colored bands on their legs to tell most of them apart. Now just waiting on eggs ... waiting ... waiting... :)
I’ve also heard that RIR’s are really only bully’s to other breeds…so good job only gets RIR’s. That was a smart move.

My peeps were 3 months old yesterday and boy have they changed!! Here's my evaluation after 3 months:

1. Rhode Islands Reds are buttholes...
2. Read #1 again...
3. Barred Rocks are delightful
4. They love to free range and are very good at it!!
5. Did I mention RIR's are buttholes?
6. They love watermelon
7. They will eat anything they encounter...frogs, lizards, caterpillars and stuff I have never seen before.
8. There are no boundaries...my wife's garden being the main thing :)
9. They love to dust bathe in freshly planted flowers...wife hates them.
10. They make some of the weirdest noises...

It's been quite an experience with them I have to say as I have not had chickens in a long time and forgot how neat they are...next up egg laying in a few months I suppose. Take care everyone!!
#1 & #5, I second that sentiment. lol

Back
Top Bottom