3 month old chickens -- do I need to do something to get them to lay eggs?

Here are some pictures of the coop and nest boxes. Our coop was bought from one of our neighbors who used to own chickens, not commercially bought.
Yeah I'd remove those mats from the nest boxes, not sure how much the chickens will like them. Instead, for extra padding (as they'll scratch the nesting material around), what I like to do is put some bubble wrap in empty feed bags, then fold them to fit snugly in the nest box floor, and top with nesting material of choice. Some shavings or straw instead would be more comfy for them to sit on.

What you need to do,...is WAIT, and then wait some more, and about the time you are firmly convinced that these chickens will NEVER lay eggs, well then you get the prize. We have all been there!

Watch them, when their combs get bright red and almost look swollen - 3-4 weeks from then. If they squat for you, about 2 weeks.

With chickens you do a lot of waiting to see what happens:
  • are the chicks roosters or pullets?
  • when are they going to lay?
  • when are they going to hatch?
Repeat - but they are a fun hobby. I currently figuring out who is a rooster with one bunch about 6 weeks old and Tuesday should be hatching....

Mrs K
I’m wildly green in most areas chicken, what does it mean when you ask if they will squat for you?

I'll send some pictures of our coop and the nesting boxes tomorrow.
i have some plastic nest boxes that i got from TSC and i bought those pokey things for the boxes but they seem kinda stiff and would not be comfy so i put some straw over them...or shavings...not a lot but to make it a bit better. i think it is so they won't get TOO comfortable in them? and you can hose them off.

Back
Top Bottom