3 month old chickens -- do I need to do something to get them to lay eggs?

The Kid Farmer

Chirping
Mar 17, 2022
San Jose, CA
Hi! So, I know my chickens won't start laying yet, but we have 1 Egyptian Fayoumi and I've read that they start laying pretty early. Our chickens are 3 months old and currently the nest boxes are blocked off. Should I open them soon, and do I have to teach them to go in there to lay? This is our first time raising chickens and our new coop came with these pokey mat things in the nest boxes. What are they and do we need them?

Thanks for all the help!

I would uncover the nests now so they can start investigating them. A few fake eggs (I use golf balls) will put it in their heads that it's a safe place for laying.

Not sure what the "pokey mat" is, is this a commercially purchased nest box? Sounds like it included a liner?

Hi! So, I know my chickens won't start laying yet, but we have 1 Egyptian Fayoumi and I've read that they start laying pretty early. Our chickens are 3 months old and currently the nest boxes are blocked off. Should I open them soon, and do I have to teach them to go in there to lay? This is our first time raising chickens and our new coop came with these pokey mat things in the nest boxes. What are they and do we need them?

Thanks for all the help!
Should be in mo 5-7. 3 mo they are still babies! The pokey mat things are to keep the eggs from breaking or getting poop on eggs. I’m not a fan. I use them in the walll hanging kind of nest boxes but I had some straw to them which makes it hard to clean. My other boxes I use shaving or straw and clean often. I think hens prefer that. Have fun!

Here are some pictures of the coop and nest boxes. Our coop was bought from one of our neighbors who used to own chickens, not commercially bought.
IMG-1210.jpg
IMG-1211.jpg
IMG-1213.jpg

IMG-1214.jpg
IMG-1216.jpg
IMG-1215.jpg

What you need to do,...is WAIT, and then wait some more, and about the time you are firmly convinced that these chickens will NEVER lay eggs, well then you get the prize. We have all been there!

Watch them, when their combs get bright red and almost look swollen - 3-4 weeks from then. If they squat for you, about 2 weeks.

With chickens you do a lot of waiting to see what happens:
  • are the chicks roosters or pullets?
  • when are they going to lay?
  • when are they going to hatch?
Repeat - but they are a fun hobby. I currently figuring out who is a rooster with one bunch about 6 weeks old and Tuesday should be hatching....

Mrs K

What you need to do,...is WAIT, and then wait some more, and about the time you are firmly convinced that these chickens will NEVER lay eggs, well then you get the prize. We have all been there!

Watch them, when their combs get bright red and almost look swollen - 3-4 weeks from then. If they squat for you, about 2 weeks.

With chickens you do a lot of waiting to see what happens:
  • are the chicks roosters or pullets?
  • when are they going to lay?
  • when are they going to hatch?
Repeat - but they are a fun hobby. I currently figuring out who is a rooster with one bunch about 6 weeks old and Tuesday should be hatching....

Mrs K
Thank you this is very helpful! What do you mean by squat though?

Well they will only do it, if you don't have a rooster. But when you walk in, they will freeze and squat down in front of you. It is the position they take with a rooster. Birds you can never touch, will freeze, and won't move until you stroke their back, then they will stand up , ruffle their feathers and go on about their business.

It is just a signal they would give a rooster if you had one. If you don't, they think you are the boss.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom