3 month old chicks are dying fast

I just read the article, which frankly is freaking me out. But it's totally necessary to get this info. So I thank you.
The irony is that someone else started this thread. I replied wanting to give positive support and the next day or following I'm having the same/similar issue!

Questions I have that were not addressed in the article and which I will Greatly appreciate direction with:
The 6-7 week olds (I purchased at a few days old, hatched end of march) that appear affected were just moved into an outdoor coop. Even though I just moved them out of that coop and will be treating them with corrid (tonight or first thing in the a.m. depending on when I can get freed from work , (which I do from home but still must do), to go buy the meds.
*Should I treat the adults that are in the coop the youngsters spent approx 1 week in?
* this next question is less relevant but still vexing: did the youngsters bring it into the outdoor coop or did they get it from birds in the outdoor coop who are healthy in every way (laying eggs frequently, great appetites, very active etc)?
*How should I go about the best chance of removing any residual infection in the coop they were in for that week and also where they are now located (different area)?

Thanks again for the help and support!

Would keeping chicks on medicated chick-starter prevent this? I haven't made it through my big bag of medicated food yet and after reading this am starting to think i'll keep them on it until much older.

I would treat all birds at the same time.
I'm not quite sure there is anything you can do to prevent them getting this..it just happens.
Keeping the chickens and chicks health is the best preventative....although not really a preventative..but they will have a much better chance of getting past cocci if they are healthy.
We can assume to figure out where it came from but will never really know.
Do you have a vet close by?
If you could take some poop to them they can test is for just a few dollars to confirm that it is cocci....or worms...or what ever...it's easy, cheap and guaranteed to let you now for sure....

Would keeping chicks on medicated chick-starter prevent this? I haven't made it through my big bag of medicated food yet and after reading this am starting to think i'll keep them on it until much older.
Not so....they can still get it.
And if they do it will not cure it.
Not everyone deals with this...but it does happen. Just keep a close eye on them...and their poop.

Medicated chick started is not really "medicine"

Don't freak out. All chickens have some level of Cocci. It's in the poop, the soil of your yard, garden, chicken run, etc. Baby chicks have it (your day olds on up). It's when there is an overload/overgrowth that it becomes a problem.

Medicated feed in the U.S. contains a "preventative" dose of usually Amprolium - which is the same as Corid. Amprolium is a Coccidostat that is a Thiamine (B1) blocker that helps inhibit the growth (overload) of Cocci until chicks can build an immunity. Medicated feed does not always prevent an outbreak. Certain conditions like wet bedding/soil can help promote growth. This is when you need to treat with Corid.

Chicks will consume small amount of poop and soil - this does contain Cocci. This will actually help them become accustomed to the oocysts that they will be encountering. This is one reason why on the medicated chick starter bag (tag) it usually reads to NOT clean out your brooder - this is because chicks need to be exposed to build resistance.

Adults can succumb to a Cocci overload as well - usually they either have been exposed to new ground where a different strain is introduced (or new chickens to new property), they have a compromised immune system or sometimes weather conditions can cause the oocysts to become more pronounced (hot humid rainy weather for a prolonged period of time).

There are 9strains that chickens can encounter. Only 1 or 2 strains produce bloody stools. Corid will treat all strains.

I won't tell you everything will be just fine, but it sounds like you are catching it early, so if you can treat them right away, then the outcome is usually positive. Some chicks and adult chickens can die from any overload.

Here is the dosage information if you need it:
Corid dosageis 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

Back
Top Bottom