3 month old (I think roo) trying to get at 1 month old pullets

chickenmomma2

Chirping
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Hi, I'm a new subscriber to BYC and new to raising chickens. I incubated eggs that 12 hatched Feb. 20 and are doing great. They are now in the coop with some 6 month olds. I purchased 16 two week old chicks about 2 weeks ago and am keeping them in my living room. They have been outside in a separate run for 2 days. Coming in at night. One of my 3 months old, who I think is a roo, was scratching at the fence trying to get at the chicks. Does this mean he's going to be extra mean toward them when I finally put the chicks in the coop? I'm taking them out during the day so the chickens will get use to them. He is not the dominate roo in the coop.

You are messing with introductions involving chicks and juveniles when they are least tolerant of younger newcomers. Can still be done or simply house separately for a few months,

Welcome.

I have them separated now. Just had the chicks in a separate pen in the yard so they could get some sunshine. Just concerned he or she would be mean to them when they are put in the pen. I don't plan to put the babies out for another month or so. I know they will need to re-establish the pecking order. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom