3 month old lamb coughing and not eating

Erinxflc

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
I don't know much about sheep but when I found a day old lamb on the road, I couldn't just leave her, so I brought her home. She was frozen. Her mouth was ice cold. She couldn't move, her head kept rolling back and she never opened her eyes. I mixed up some "colostrum" and fed her with a spoon. It took about half an hour for her to swallow on her own and another hour to start sucking. She made it. I recently weened her off the bottle so she has been eating a lot of grass (She's about 3 months old)
Yesterday she didn't eat anything that I saw and was breathing heavily through her nose and then coughing. Do sheep get colds? Is this normal?
Yes so, as you can tell, I'm not the sheep expert. Can you help?

All animals can get respiratory diseases, if they have respiratory systems; that's normal, but then again so is death. Bit too loose a term to use as an indicator of importance, is what I'm getting at there.

She may have lungworm, which would need worming. I've never had to treat for that so sorry, no advice there.

If you think it's an infection, and if she'll eat a raw clove of garlic then I'd offer her some, it's been the salvation of my lambs a few times, really good for knocking lung problems on the head... Depending on what they are. Viral, bacterial, etc can be defeated with garlic, but you should look into a variety of info and see what matches the symptoms.

Has her hay been moldy? Or her pellets? Even if they're not obviously moldy they can have molds in them. She may have inhaled something irritating.

The fact that she's not eating, and is coughing, though, means it should be taken more seriously than the otherwise isolated cough that might be seen in an animal that is eating. A vet may be worth the time, if you can afford one. If not, I'd be googling her symptoms, personally. Here's a good website to begin with:
Quote:
Best wishes.

I don't know much about sheep but when I found a day old lamb on the road, I couldn't just leave her, so I brought her home. She was frozen. Her mouth was ice cold. She couldn't move, her head kept rolling back and she never opened her eyes. I mixed up some "colostrum" and fed her with a spoon. It took about half an hour for her to swallow on her own and another hour to start sucking. She made it. I recently weened her off the bottle so she has been eating a lot of grass (She's about 3 months old)
Yesterday she didn't eat anything that I saw and was breathing heavily through her nose and then coughing. Do sheep get colds? Is this normal?
Yes so, as you can tell, I'm not the sheep expert. Can you help?

My guess is she has pneumonia. If she were mine I would give her a shot of penicillin ASAP. The colostrum lambs, kids, calves, foals and certain other babies get from their mothers contain antibodies which protect them from disease for months. Since she didn't get this antibody protection she is far more susceptible to illness than she would be if she had received it.

Back
Top Bottom