3 month old Polish roo anemic and suddenly blind

Hello,

I am desperate for advice! Three days ago we found our 3 month old Polish all lethargic, sitting quietly in the middle of the coop. I brought him in and recognized he was anemic (pale wattles, crest, face, weak). My guess is that the grown up hens or other roosters did not let him eat (properly). He had some balance issues too. No lice, mites, nothing. No injuries either.

I started him on Kualcovit (all vitamin B, niacin ect, that fights anemia in kittens and is a miracle maker). He has recovered his balance and it looked like he generally felt better, but seemed a bit disorientated. He refused to eat or drink water on his own so I gave him some with the tiny, 1ml syringe. I gave him some dewormer too (Piperazine).

On day two I noticed that he is BLIND. He was perfectly fine before and he has no grey spots in the eyes (just a normal eye but it does not react to my finger, light changes.. nothing)
After googling I read that lack of vitamin A causes temporary blindness, so I started to give him the commercial vitamin bag for birds (on the photo, the yellow one) and today, since he still shows no improvement we started to feed him tiny portions of started feed directly in to his mouth.

i read that it could be Mareks too but I have no history of it in my flock. Did anyone had experience with temporary blindness? Is there anything more I should do?

Thank you in advance
Had a rooster a while ago, one day I noticed him in the middle of the yard not moving much, brought him inside and realized he was blind in one eye and was having trouble with balancing and aiming his beak at the food, he got worst and worst until one day I was watching him and realized that he had gone blind in the other eye. He had a heart attack a few moments later and died. Can you show me a pic of where your chicken was living before he was sick

Hi,
I'm sorry to say that he passed away. He was fine in the evening and in the morning we found him in a very bad shape, so we put him to sleep. My vet said it was probably irreversible brain damage. Steriods made a lot of difference but he never started eating on his own again, nor did he show any intention of doing it. I guess the swelling was just too big.

we kept him perky with syrnge feeding for almost a month and he was a happy bird.

All my birds are free range, they have a coop thats 5x5 (tiny house) and 100m2 of protected area for the night, and then 800m2 of protected patio.

Back
Top Bottom