3 Month Old Rhode Island Red Chicken Has Serious Foot Injury, Infection

MattTN

Hatching
Jun 8, 2020
H everyone,

My daughter recently become a backyard chicken owner. She has 9 Rhode Island Reds that are about 3 months old.

We noticed that one of the chickens was limping this past weekend. She had a big gash on the back of her leg above her ankle joint that already looked somewhat infected. There was definite signs of puss. We isolated her indoors, cleaned it as best we could, and put Neosporin on the wound. It's gotten worse since then. The area around the wound is very swollen and looks reddish, and she doesn't want to put weight on it. I tried to clean it again, but the area is clotted over.

We went to Tractor Supply and the local co-op today. We left with some antibacterial cream to apply to her leg, and the co-op gave us a 500mg oxytetracycline pill. They said they didn't know the dose for a chicken, but that we could crush it up, dissolve it in water, and give her that to help, too. My question is: how much should we give her? And are there any other things we can or should be doing to help? My daughter is heart broken over this, so I'm trying everything I can think of to help.

Thanks in advance!

Just wondered if it could be bumble foot? Try googling and comparing your chicken's foot. Might need to see a vet🤔

H everyone,

My daughter recently become a backyard chicken owner. She has 9 Rhode Island Reds that are about 3 months old.

We noticed that one of the chickens was limping this past weekend. She had a big gash on the back of her leg above her ankle joint that already looked somewhat infected. There was definite signs of puss. We isolated her indoors, cleaned it as best we could, and put Neosporin on the wound. It's gotten worse since then. The area around the wound is very swollen and looks reddish, and she doesn't want to put weight on it. I tried to clean it again, but the area is clotted over.

We went to Tractor Supply and the local co-op today. We left with some antibacterial cream to apply to her leg, and the co-op gave us a 500mg oxytetracycline pill. They said they didn't know the dose for a chicken, but that we could crush it up, dissolve it in water, and give her that to help, too. My question is: how much should we give her? And are there any other things we can or should be doing to help? My daughter is heart broken over this, so I'm trying everything I can think of to help.

Thanks in advance!
Keep her in a clean dry crate with her own water and food. Clean the wound twice daily with Hibiclens or betadine then a thick layer of antibiotic ointment.
The oral dosage for oxytetracycline in chickens for food and water administration is 2500 mg/quart of water and 2500 mg per 2.2 pounds of feed.
I would mix up a 1/2 gallon or so of the antibiotic water and store it in a tight container out of light. Use some of this water to make a mash out of her feed. Give her the dosed feed and the dosed water. I wouldn't give her the antibiotic for more than 5-7 days. It can cause delayed bone formation in young birds.

Back
Top Bottom