3 month old Rooster won't stand; has diarrhea

citygirlfarmer3

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 18, 2015
Alexander, AR
Thank you for reading. Young rooster about 3 months old is not standing and now has diarrhea. He quit standing yesterday. My son hand fed him some crumble but he only ate a small portion. I offered him water and he didn't seem to drink.
1) Don't know the breed. We bought at Tractor Supply. There are two pullets we bought at the same time and they are fine. The three birds are much heavier than any chicken we have purchased before. We buy for egg production but maybe this is a meat production bird
2) They are outside in an enclosed area at night but are allowed to free range during the day. They are on ground.
3) Currently I have him in the shade under some bushes.
4) Also, he never grew back feathers and neither did the two pullets. Very strange looking with no back feathers.
5) Would like to treat ourselves if possible.
6) We have 40+ other chickens all fine.

Thank you Becky M Alexander Arkansas

Posting pictures of the 3 could confirm that he is a meat bird. Sorry that you may have bought meat chickens accidentally. I wish they would put a sign up or have the clerks helping explain that these chickens are not meant to live more than 2 months, and are not mainly egg layers.

I have tried to email pictures to myself but so far nothing has come through. The three always did seem to 'rest' more than the others. The male would even lay down by the feeder and eat. I believe you are both correct and we have unfortunately purchased meat chickens. :( A neighbor has been asking to raise some chicks for her to butcher. She is going to come get them this evening. I moved the rooster to shade under a tree and put a low plate of water in front of him and he has been drinking. I dropped a few crumbles in the water for him to eat too.

Good decision. These meat birds are bred to be processed at age six weeks. Beyond that age, they are apt to suffer fractured leg bones which can lead to even worse complications. People wishing to keep meat birds as long term flock intentionally withhold feed to restrict their rapid growth, giving their bones time to catch up. Like most chickens, they can be charming, lovable pets.

Like sex-links and other high production layers, these birds are bred for maximum production and profit with no regard for their health and well being. Unless you plan to keep them for only a short time and butcher them, it's not beneficial to choose these breeds as long term additions to your flock as health issues undercut any enjoyment derived from owning them.

Back
Top Bottom