3 month old turkey with cold

texaschickmama

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Poolville, TX
How do I treat my 3 month old white broad breasted turkey? I lost one 2 days ago. I had been giving antibiotics in their waterer, but discovered one kind of gasping for air. I gave a shot of Tylan, didn't work the turkey died. I have been sick myself and I feel I just did not catch this is time. Please help I don't want to lose my only turkey that I have left.

First off, poultry of any kind do not catch colds. This is more than likely a disease of some sort and the turkey in question needs to be quarantined. You also need to identify which disease this is so you can administer the right antibiotics. Each antibiotic is disease specific, so you have to know what you are treating. I'm suspecting MG at this point as turkey's are prone to the disease. Make sure they don't come in contact with your chickens if you have any and practice good biosecurity techniques.

Quote:
A cold is just the common parlance for an upper respiratory tract infection caused by a virus, which is a type of disease that turkeys certainly can get. In fact, MG (Mycoplasma gallisepticum) is an upper respiratory infection, but one that is caused by a bacteria rather than a virus. Antibiotics are not disease-specific; many broad-spectrum antibiotics will treat several different groups of pathogens.

That said, it is important for you (OP) to try to give more information so that people can try to help. Specific pathogens are susceptible to particular antibiotics. What antibiotic did you give? If it is MG, antibiotics such as tetracyclines will be effective, as will fluoroquinolones (such as ciprofloxacin). But if it's Turkey Rhinotracheitis, antibiotics won't help because that's a viral disease.

I'm sorry you lost your turkey, and I hope your second one lives. Good luck.

Quote:
It's impossible to know how far along the disease has progressed, but that's the correct dosage, and if it is MG, it should help. Make sure to make a fresh batch daily, because tetracycline isn't stable in water for long. That's the best this vet school drop-out can do without knowing more. (I dropped out of vet school and became a human doctor--so much easier only having to worry about one species!) Otherwise, supportive care is in order--do your best to make sure your turkey is eating and drinking; get the brooder light back out so he's warm; give greens or any other treats he likes. Best of luck.

Can someone please explain the "shot of Tylan" to me. I am very new to raising birds, got my first birds seven weeks ago. Is this a needle( uhg) type shot ? Should I have it on handi? Do I get it at the Farm store or Vets? I only have two BBW and want to keep them around for a while. NH

Quote:
Do you have any other birds or plan on getting some? If you are get yourself a copy of the Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerrow. Just because it says chickens not to worry, birds are birds pretty much. It covers health, feeding, sickness etc - it's not that expensive and very very well worth it. Barnes n Noble, Amazon should all carry it

Tylan comes as a powder or a injectable. Some feed stores carry it or you can order it online.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc...=VAQ1MEHKJUF18NFKV8QW45U988VA6GW2&pf_id=16364

Powder

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc...=VAQ1MEHKJUF18NFKV8QW45U988VA6GW2&pf_id=16330

injectable

With proper care and a little luck you will never need it. Proper sanitation, not overcrowding, etc etc goes a long way. I would start with the book and read it cover to cover.

Steve in NC

Back
Top Bottom