3 new hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by oesdog, Jan 3, 2011.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Ok - so we have a bit of knowledge about birds here on BYC.

My DH is a lovely guy but - This evening he was up the road and met with a lad who is moving away. He needs to get rid of his Hens. As we just rehomed 2 roosters
    Dh decided that we had room for three hens. They are supposed to be RIR Yeah right!!!!!!

Anyhow our flock was out free ranging in the yard when the lad turns up with these poor critters in two bags!!!!! Trust up like spuds!!!!
    Well DH shouts for me to come down for the lad had brought his girls. Next second there they were upturned out on the lawn - !!!! Right in the middle of my girls!!!!!
    You all know about KEEPING THEM APART so you don;t get infections etc. My DH doesn;t think !!!! So these manky little hens are running about getting pecked by my girls who are twice their size. Then DH takes the lad aside and he disapears. - "YOu like the new girls" he says smiling thinking he has done a GOOD thing????
    I lift two of the Hens and see Imediately that both have Cross beaks and the little one IS A MUTT!!!!!!! So I take them into a seperate pen and feed them they are really scrawney. I get a chance to look them over and I see they also have Scally leg. One has scabs on her comb but probably not from the other two hens she came with.
    They are ok in that they don;t seem to have anything bad and the combs are red. Still I want to keep them apart. Though I guess if they have something BAD like Meriks or Cocci - my girls have got it by now?

Anyhow after I put them to bed tonight in the Coop the lads had used - I said to DH I guess the lad was happy to get a home for the girls - He said yes sure I gave him £30
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh??????? DH says thats the going rate isn;t it - I am thinking well they are small and manky mutts with x beaks and you gave him £10 each!!!!! I just gave away two rare breed Roos and was glad not to have to kill them? Anyhow the lad aparently told DH he has two other girls who need a home to. They are supposed to be Blackrocks? -

I do wish my DH was not so eager to please me - I think he still thinks I am sad about the Roos and that he was going to Murder BLUE the other Roo I still have.

So now I have three Hens - We are calling them Dot because one is sooo small and has dots all over and the other two are Genaveive ( Eive for short) and Annabelle (Annie for short. )

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I am thinking for £30 I could have gotten a couple of nice Sussex Pullets!!!!!!

Oesdog

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Men. 'Nuff said.

Well, by the time you get the scaly leg mites cleared up, maybe you'll know whether they brought anything else in. Let's hope not.

Meanwhile, pat yourself on the back for rescuing some pitiful chickens. Even if it wasn't your idea, and you paid to do it....

Afraid I'd tell the fellow you will take his other two chickens -- for free, only.

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Oh, Oesdog - the poor things have found a good home with you! I'd tell him if he want's you to take the other two, you will charge him 30 pounds!
    [​IMG]

4. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks you guys!!!!!!

They really are pitiful - Fancy carrying them about in a sack used for coal??????? I mean I get the cat cage and put hay in it and all that just so my girls are comfy!!!
    I cannot imagine why anyone would carry their hens around in a bag????

Oh what a sight they are. - I am not sure where to start???? - Well the scally leg could be a bother.
    I mean I have had Drumstick for a few years and her legs still look awful no matter what I do. She is an RIR/PR Lovely healthy bird in every other way but her feet are awful. She must have had scally mites at some stage but the feet never seem to have recovered. She loves putting them in the water bowl all the time. None of the other girls have bad feet so I guess its not spreading so they must be dead though I do spray the coop regularly and her feet ALL the time!!!!! Maybe its just an RIR kind of thing????
    Funny DH said earlier "I only bought them cause they looked like refugees from a batery farm!!!!" Ahhh Bless - Still feel like kicking his butt though!!!!!!! I sure hope they don;t have anything NASTY!!!!!! And they deffinately wont have any meat on those BONES!!!!!!

Oesdog

5. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Bless you for taking those poor things in!

Never heard of RIR having problems with their legs, so I suspect what she is dealing with is scar tissue. Probably not much you can do, but I believe I'd try some vitamin E oil, or Bag Balm, or maybe that stuff they put on women's stretch marks.

6. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Bless you for taking those poor things in!

Never heard of RIR having problems with their legs, so I suspect what she is dealing with is scar tissue. Probably not much you can do, but I believe I'd try some vitamin E oil, or Bag Balm, or maybe that stuff they put on women's stretch marks.

Ha Ha - my chicken has stretchmarks on her feet!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Oesdog

7. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Why does everyone laugh at me???? [​IMG]

Guess it is kinda funny, when you look at it like that!

8. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    [​IMG]

OMG, I don't know what I'd do first! Wring my DH's neck, or bleach all the chickens!! J/K

I sure hope they don't have anything contagious. You are their angel. I hope they give you plenty of hard shelled, oblong shaped rewards. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by