3 New Pullets 2 Eggs First Day None the Next 4 Weeks ????

Chic-n-farmer

Showers of Blessings
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Clark CO. IL 25 Chicken Years
I traded for 3 Cuckoo Maran pullets at point-of-lay and a rooster. I put them in a 6x8 dog kennel for quarantine.

Next morning there is a egg shell in the pen. My first fear was I had bought egg eaters. A couple of hours later there was another egg in the pen, intact, big relief! I was thinking maybe the first egg was trampled on as it was up against the fence. I made them a nice elevated nest box in case they did not want to use the temporary igloo dog house.

Days, weeks, a MONTH goes by.... nothing!

They are now in "general population" and I would know if they were laying! The eggs are vastly different than the average brown eggs my other girls lay.

That one lovely, perfect egg, was a deep chocolate brown and still holds a place of honor in the fridge! (You can look but don't eat!)

I know a 3 hour car ride can stress a bird, but for a month?
These girls were just beginning to lay when I got them according to the previous owner.

Please somebody tell me this has happened to them, too.
hu.gif

If you read some of the older posts here on BYC, you'll see that a month is not an unusual amount of time. A seemingly minor change in routine or location can completely stress out a hen.

If she is getting adequate protein, vitamins, minerals, and calcium, that's half the battle.

I am certainly no expert, but my guess would be, they were first stressed by the move and just as they were settling in, they were moved again and added to the rest of the birds. This would be stressful too as they establish pecking order, etc.

I agree with the other posts. I'm no expert either. First the ride, then the quarantine for how long?, now in with the rest of the flock. It can take a month or more before they start laying again.
idunno.gif
hu.gif
caf.gif

yep--me too. especially since the days are getting shorter, they may not lay again til spring. Mine didn't. Got them in Sept, no eggs till Feb.

Back
Top Bottom