3 or 4 year old rooster is it wry neck?

Amoxiicillin or clavamox, or SMZ-TMP would be good for an ear infection if you have a local vet that might prescribe those. The latter is a sulfa antibiotic. Sulmet from the feed store is the the same as sulfamethazine or SMZ. SMZ-TMP is the same as Bactrim for humans. Dawg53 has several good posts about ear infections and gunky ears.

Hi Karen,
I'm sure it didn't hurt to clean his outer ears but it won't help. All the muck is stuck behind the eardrum,deep down in his head.
I'm wondering if that spot on his neck is an abscess draining from inside his head. Did he show improvement when the spot appeared ? It might be venting the pressure.

Hi Eggcessive,
TMZ is what was prescribed for Bobbi, it works great if you can get it.

Amoxiicillin or clavamox, or SMZ-TMP would be good for an ear infection if you have a local vet that might prescribe those. The latter is a sulfa antibiotic. Sulmet from the feed store is the the same as sulfamethazine or SMZ. SMZ-TMP is the same as Bactrim for humans. Dawg53 has several good posts about ear infections and gunky ears.
Of course I'm reading this post AFTER I got home from the feed store. LOL. What I ended up getting was Aureomycin 4G medicated crumbles from Manna Pro. It's a medicated feed that you are suppose to mix in with regular feed. It says it is a "chlortetracycline type C medicated feed". I also bought NeoMed 325 soluble powder. It is a "Neomycin Sulfate (commercial grade)" manufactured by Bimeda, Inc.
Hi Karen,
I'm sure it didn't hurt to clean his outer ears but it won't help. All the muck is stuck behind the eardrum,deep down in his head.
I'm wondering if that spot on his neck is an abscess draining from inside his head. Did he show improvement when the spot appeared ? It might be venting the pressure.

Hi Eggcessive,
TMZ is what was prescribed for Bobbi, it works great if you can get it.
Hi Lora,
I don't think that cleaning his ear did anything at all. Nothing "came out" at all. As for the spot on his neck, it has been there since the first night. It has gotten bigger lately and now you can actually see down into his ear and yes, I think it coincided with when he was actually able to stand on his feet for a while & began eating some. I did not see him on his feet at all last night and when he has managed it he can only do so for about an hour.
So, hopefully these antibiotics will help!

Of course I'm reading this post AFTER I got home from the feed store. LOL. What I ended up getting was Aureomycin 4G medicated crumbles from Manna Pro. It's a medicated feed that you are suppose to mix in with regular feed. It says it is a "chlortetracycline type C medicated feed". I also bought NeoMed 325 soluble powder. It is a "Neomycin Sulfate (commercial grade)" manufactured by Bimeda, Inc.
Hi Lora,
I don't think that cleaning his ear did anything at all. Nothing "came out" at all. As for the spot on his neck, it has been there since the first night. It has gotten bigger lately and now you can actually see down into his ear and yes, I think it coincided with when he was actually able to stand on his feet for a while & began eating some. I did not see him on his feet at all last night and when he has managed it he can only do so for about an hour.
So, hopefully these antibiotics will help!
Those 2 medicines are more for treatment of enteritis. I'm not a vet, but I don't think that either would treat an ear infection. Vets always have the drugs needed, but it's hard to get a chicken seen.

Those 2 medicines are more for treatment of enteritis. I'm not a vet, but I don't think that either would treat an ear infection. Vets always have the drugs needed, but it's hard to get a chicken seen.
Ok, I haven't opened them yet, maybe I'll return them. We don't have the $ for a vet at the moment, having already spent it at the vet because the dog ran into a fence and punctured her side. I only took her because it looked deep. She ended up having 8 stitches on the outside and they said she was pretty torn up on the inside! They wondered if she had really ran into a fence. I think they thought she got in to a fight with another animal, but I was there when she ran into the fence. It is a cattle panel that had been cut in half and has rods about an inch or so that stick out. She had been going in & out of that fence for over a year with no problems. That night she was in a hurry to try to catch a chipmunk (or whatever hangs out under her dog house!) and she cut the corner to sharply. She gets the outside stitches out tomorrow.

I don't think people out in my rural area take their chickens to the vet!!

The feed store had other choices of antibiotics, so I will look again.

I just finished reading all the threads that dawg53 posted on about ears/ infections/ & gunk.
I'm going to try to check in to his ears again. Last night it was very hard and white, but I didn't know to check for mites in his ears! Also, the hydrogen peroxide didn't bubble up at all last night, so I'm not sure what that means...

Last edited:
On the Aureomycin feed bag it says" Prevents disease loss from infections" and lists " Bacterial enteritis; Bacterial pneumonia; shipping fever; Jowl abscesses; Chronic respiratory disease (CRD); and Fowl Cholera".

I was hoping that since it mentions Bacterial... and abscesses....maybe.... or maybe not.

@dawg53 I've read a lot of your posts about how to treat ear infections/ ear mites. I've done peroxide in my 4 year old roosters ears, Q-tips show nothing. No red or black dots/bugs. The first time I only did 1 ear. The peroxide didn't bubble up or anything. Tonight I did both ears. In one ear (the one that looked the worse), nothing, no bubbling, no green or yellow gunk, no bugs. Just white hard stuff ( now I'm wondering if what I am seeing is normal & I just didn't realize it). I'm going to look for pictures of the inner part of a healthy chicken ear.
Anyway, what I wanted to ask you about is this: When I put peroxide in my rooster's ear it ends up coming out of his mouth! Is that normal?? It was bubbling up like peroxide does it I put it in my mouth. I don't know if that means there is a hole between his ear and mouth (that shouldn't be there) or if this is normal. Any thoughts?

I went ahead and put down Texas. He wasn't making any more improvement. He was the last of my originals & my favorite chicken. : (
Thanks for all the moral support everyone gave me while I tried to nurse him back to health.

I am so sorry. When I saw that you had posted this evening I was hoping it was for a far different reason. You sure did everything you could - there just comes a time when you have to say "Enough" and you are a compassionate woman for knowing when that time had come. Wish I had some feel-better words but I hope just knowing others cared as much as you did helps.

I'm sorry that you had to put him down, but you really tried to help him. Sorry that I haven't been on to see your posts lately. I don't know as much about bird anatomy as human, but we have eustacian tubes that connect the throat with the ears, and that is what gets stopped up when we get an ear infection. The eustacian tubes help us equalize pressure in our ears, so it is probabvly normal that the peroxide came out his beak. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom