3 out of 8 eggs given to a broody hen vanished after two week!

Click on my user name and it takes you to my profile page. Look at albums and select the one that says coop and run photos.

The covered enclosed run is paying off today as it's snowing a foot and the chickens want no part of it. The run is a refuge for me, as well.

Still nothing… Think I am going to candle tomorrow unless anyone out there thinks I shouldn’t??? Totally winging it here. Lol

If yesterday was for sure day 21, I fear something has gone wrong. I would candle the eggs tonight under cover of darkness. No reason to wait until tomorrow.. Eggs under broody hens often begin to hatch earlier than eggs in artificial incubators. The early hatchees under my broody hens have almost always begun hatching on day 20, sometimes even day 19.

When you candle the eggs this close to hatch date, here is the way to do it. Pay attention to the position of each egg as you remove them from underneath your broody to candle. As you candle, try not to rotate or turn the eggs. The reason for this is a chick begins to rotate into it's hatching position on approximately day 18. Artificial incubators are programmed to stop turning eggs on day 18 (lockdown), and a broody hen likewise stops turning her eggs at that time. If eggs are turned too close to hatch, a chick has to maneuver back into hatching position. Strong chicks are capable of doing so, but weak chicks may die in the shell before they can hatch, since it requires a lot of exerertion to escape their eggs. Don't be afraid to candle, just be as careful as possible to keep the egg in its position as you remove, candle, & if viable place back under momma Patty.

If by sad chance all embryos have died and you want to give Patty feedstore chicks, leave at least 2-3 of the eggs under her one more day. Select your chosen breeds tomorrow & put them in a temporary day brooder with food, water and heat. Give the feedstore chicks to Patty tomorrow night, once again under the cover of darkness.

When was the last time you candled? There is a small risk her eggs have become rotten and could explode under her before tomorrow night, but more risky she will reject the feedstore chicks if you take her eggs away before you give her chicks. Be aware that some broodies will not adopt chicks. In that case, You will hafta be their momma.

If you have any questions please ask. I certainly don't know it all, but I have had many dozens of broodies hatch many more dozens of chicks, and i've also placed feedstore chicks under broodies many times.

Ok, I will be candling tonight. I last candled on 3/12. If I end up getting some feed store chicks would it be ok to get a mix of bantams and standard sized chicks? I have to get a minimum of 6 so I was thinking maybe 3 or 4 of each?

So you candled less than a week ago and all embryos were alive with good veining? If they have since died, and if you have the stomach for it, you can do some "eggtopsies.", I.e. open up the eggs and examine the chicks for any obvious causes of death. (The cracked egg you saw was possibly the cause of death of that embryo.) On that note, I would be wary of the hen you saw trying to get at Patty's eggs. If she ate an egg(s) with an embryo fairly far along in development, she is capable of killing a chick. Especially if as an adult hen, she has never seen baby chicks before.

Re getting standard sized and bantams at the same time, that is a judgement call for you to make. I did that once with Easter Egger's, Welsummers, Silkies and bantam Polish. They grew up together and I never had a problem.
Others on this forum may have had different experiences, and if so, i hope they see your question and comment.

When I candled I saw one that had very obvious veining. The other 4 had good air cells and I could see the dark blobs and I believe I saw movement on at least two of them. I was trying to do it very quickly so I didn’t really look for movement mostly just for a dark spot and for veins. because Momma Patty was very upset with me.

My feed store had bantam EE and standard sized Wyandottes so I was hoping to get some of each.

Yes for sure Momma hens usually don't like their eggs (or chicks) being messed with. Some of my broodies are very sweet natured and docile, & they don't mind me handling their "kids" at all. But I still try to candle either after dark, or in the morns when they are out taking their daily broody breaks.

Personally, if I wanted bantam Easter Eggers and standard Wyandottes, I would just do it. The decision is yours to make.🙂

Update: I just candled under the cover of darkness. One egg had definite movement. Two others had no movement that I could see. They had the air cell, then a pretty much solid dark blob throughout the rest of the egg, I could see lots of veins on both. The last egg the one I thought might be cracked had an air cell then a less solid blob with lighter spots. Is it safe to say that the last one is no good and should be thrown?

I also didn't see any pipping.

This is my second time candling eggs so I don't know much but I have watched a few youtube videos and read a lot here on BYC. I think that the 3 "good eggs" had larger air cells than they should've...

When do you think that I should expect the hatch?

Back
Top Bottom