3 p.m. fox attack

jgell

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 23, 2010
Avondale
So I am over at the duck pen giving them some treats and I see the turkeys (12 week old bourbon reds) flying around out of the corner of my eye. It didn't concern me at first because I figure they finally noticed me and were coming for their fair share of peas. But then I notice one of the turkeys was swimming in the middle of the pond, now that's odd and alarming. I head over for a better look and to my surprise I make eye contact with a fox who then bolts into the woods. This is 3 p.m. on a 95F day, what is a fox doing out and about? The fox ripped out some tail feathers of the turkey that ended up in the pond. The turkeys had scattered but none ended up in the trees. I was pretty dissapointed about that. I have plenty of trees with easily accessible limbs which look perfect to escape from a fox but instead this tom chose the pond. In the end it worked but I thought one of the advantages of heritage breeds was they can fly up in the trees to get away.

All of the Red Fox attempts at this location (area) have occurred during the two hours after sunrise and during the two hours before sunset. `Wild' Eastern's (those poults raised by undomesticated hens) will, indeed, head for the trees/heavy brush. Domesticated turks have their instincts but lack the `learned' response to pred. threats. Our Royals and Slates, would roost in trees, but always at around 20ft. up (easy to get them down and back into their shed); Wild Eastern's roost between 40-60 ft. on branches that only just support their wt. (can hear them crashing around as they take up position, out in the woods, when they're in the neighborhood). Raccoon's pretty much wiped out our closest neighbor's flock owing to their turk's penchant for roosting low in the trees.

Red Fox can be a persistent threat and can easily kill full grown toms (ambush from high grass and clamp down on throat). They are also very efficient depredator's of ducks around frozen ponds

A few years ago I had two different foxes (my son killed them both) making mid-day attacks on my flock as they free ranged in my yard. I remember being in complete shock seeing several hens run across the front porch with a fox fast on their heels while I am several feet from the door. Until then I had always believed fox attacks would be either night time or early dusk or dawn... guess they hadn't read the same book I had...lol.

The old saying "Don't believe everything you read" applies here... I've had / killed more foxes mid-day then the believed dusk / dawn theory...

Armed, supervised, free range time is the only way to be sure (they'll watch and wait for the human to step inside). Rather late in the season for a den full of kits so your intruder might not be back immediately. During the Spring/early Summer it is a good idea to keep several live traps set (adults bring out the kits during the night).
boxedfoxA.jpg

Dry cat food soaked in tuna oil, in a can, in a hole under the trap's trigger plate (no bait in trap itself). Once we (neighbors and ourselves) shot 18 in `07 between the middle of July and first week in Sept., it's been much quieter (4-8 a year since then). Have a lot of woods and fence lines (somewhat less of a problem hunting down dens and have excellent locations for snares in the winter (they like to travel along the fence lines). Breeding pairs of Reds can rub out a good sized flock in a short amount of time.

Wow, im suprised that a fox would go inside a cage and fall for it, foxes are smart. Are those baby foxes you caught? Ive seen foxes the size of beagles dogs or bigger

Couple of kits. Caught a manged, aged vixen in that trap years ago (before we had poultry), only adult to ever enter a standard 1079 havahart , here; though, if you search the site, you'll find shots of adults in larger live traps.

2-3 kits a year is normal.

The adults are more brazen than anything else. Early this spring I heard one of our big Red Sex Link hens squawk and come running out of the garden followed by an adult male Red Fox. It saw me, but still wanted the chicken. It stood still, debating, no more than 15 ft. away, too long for its own good.

Thanks for the information... We have a lot of fox in Northern VA, and a reason hunt clubs (fox hunting on horses) are so popular with the rich around here (I'm not included in the "rich" class). So tell me, what kind of traps do you have the most luck with and how many do you put out (traps)? Do you shot them inside the traps or using a shotgun could mess up the trap. Maybe a .22 cal would be best... Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom