3 roosters and 6 hens

Can you (or someone else like me haha) separate the boys in their own fraternity? I read somewhere that if you keep roosters that hatched together in their own chicken tractor they're cool as long as no ladies are around to stir the guys up

Is it possible to just separate the roosters from the hens in the spring, or are they still likely to kill each other?

They can be kept in a separate bachelor pad where they are kept away from the pullets.

They aren’t mature even though they are 8 months old?

They are not roosters until they are one year old.
Pullets are not hens until they are one year old.

Yes, putting them in a separate set up might work... it might not, but it is more apt to work than how you have it set up now. Roosters are a crap shoot, and rather unpredictable. The above poster that got it to work has a very large run, more space generally, kind of, sort of, most of the time makes all things work better.

Just no fool proof way to do roosters.

Mrs K

I'm sorry to say but to me this sounds like a recipe for disaster. The chances of this working are slim to none. The way you'll find out is likely by a major injury to one or more of the birds. Stressed hens from over breeding probably missing feathers maybe having actual damage done to them. Roosters this spring will more than likely start fighting.

If you had significantly more hens maybe it would work but I know in my case I had 1 rooster between 10 hens and he went crazy in the spring with breeding. Many hens had naked backs, cuts, etc from him. I couldn't imagine trying multiple roos with them.

If it were me I'd drop down to 1 boy and find homes for the others. If they're pretty tame they'll likely be easier to place than a jerk-wad roo.

I'm sorry to say but to me this sounds like a recipe for disaster. The chances of this working are slim to none. The way you'll find out is likely by a major injury to one or more of the birds. Stressed hens from over breeding probably missing feathers maybe having actual damage done to them. Roosters this spring will more than likely start fighting.

If you had significantly more hens maybe it would work but I know in my case I had 1 rooster between 10 hens and he went crazy in the spring with breeding. Many hens had naked backs, cuts, etc from him. I couldn't imagine trying multiple roos with them.

If it were me I'd drop down to 1 boy and find homes for the others. If they're pretty tame they'll likely be easier to place than a jerk-wad roo.
Thank you for the advice, I’m looking to find homes for them 😊

Three roosters six hens.
They were two roosters and five hens last year and for a number of years before.
I keep another group with two roosters and seven hens.
Another group with one rooster and three hens.
All free range.
Yes, they fight both within the groups and with roosters and hens from the other groups. The fights are rarely serious.
So, it can be done. A lot will depend on how you keep them.
PC200284.JPG

That is all good advice you were given, but let me ask you some questions:

How big is your coop?
How big is your run?
Is at least part of your run covered?
Do you free range the birds? And if so, daily and for how long?
Where are you located?
What kind of weather will your chickens experience? Lots of rain means lots of coop time.

Please upload some pictures of your setup for us.

When selecting the 'right' cockerel to stay, how about letting your hens decide, as they will have to live and get along with him.

Back
Top Bottom