3 rows on a comb??

emjay

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
so, I've been doing alot of reading, studying of pictures. As I still can't figure out my 8 week olds. EE's and EE mixes.

I read today the comment about three rows in the comb. Now, does that ALWAYS indicate roo?? If so, I fear I may have mostly roos.

grrr humph.

I was checking them over tonite, and I noticed that most had three rows running vertical from the top of the head to the beak.
That being one thing and the reddening of combs. Wattles are not developing as rapidly as the combs, most are quite small still (wattles)
I have pics posted several times already. but, wanted to know more about the rows in the comb theory.

could you have birds with 3 rows still be pullets? due to what they are mixed with?

I have the EE comb from dad crossed with wyandotte combs, and single combs, could that change things ??

Three rows is one indicator of gender, it isn't absolute. Out of the last four EEs I have had, two have had three rows and been hens. The other two had a single row and were hens.

No, the rows mean you have a correct pea comb, which is somewhat uncommon for EEs - out of six, three have 'pea' combs, but only one looks like a real good pea comb, going from beak to feather. Now, if posted pics and then had us guesstimate, well, then, that'd be another story!
lol.png
wink.png

Because roos have larger , fuller combs the three rows on pea combs are normally more distinct and visible on the roos than on the hens . This leads people to state that three rows means roo . Hens still have three rows , but the two outer rows may be so small that they're very difficult to see on a good , tight fitting comb .
Also , comb types can be a blend of types . A blend of single and pea may have a tall center with little peas to each side .

Last edited:
whew. there are 4 that have definite three rows in their combs. What comb is usually typical in an EE, if it is uncommon to have a pea comb, I'm not up 100% on all my combs, haha.
then there is still hope I don't have a pen full of roos.

you'd think at 8 weeks old too , if I had roos there would be more sparring. theres' barely any. not that I've seen anyways.

Sparring is a play to determine pecking order and may occur between pullets as well as cockerals . Some pullets even develope spurs . EEs , not being a breed , can have any type of comb . Since the gene for blue eggs seems to fall close to the one for the pea combs , many EE's have pea combs . This is not a hard and fast rule . Several breeds have pea combs and do not lay blue eggs ; your EEs can have different combs and lay blue or have pea combs and lay brown eggs .

No, it doesn't always mean rooster. But with other clues like redness in the comb at a young age, it's a good indicator.

My pure ameraucana pullets have 3 visible rows on their comb, but it is flat except for a little ridge in the center. (they are still young 15 1/2 weeks) Roosters combs are more pronounced. (not flat)

I also have a 4 week old olive egger from Wynette with very prominent 3 rows. I'm still waiting to see if it's a boy or a girl. (no redness yet) Wynette says she has a girl in her olive egger pen with 3 rows, so it could go either way.

Back
Top Bottom