1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 rubber eggs -- when do I start worrying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kathleen1115, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Kathleen1115

Kathleen1115 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    One of my BOs just started laying this week and of the four eggs she's laid (that we know of) 3 of them have been rubber eggs. The first had no shell at all and broke and the other two have had a very very thin shell. I'm almost positive that she laid at least one good egg -- we got five eggs from 5 layers the other day so one of them had to be hers. She's 22 weeks, has been on layer feed for 3 weeks, and we added oyster shells this week. I also started giving them yogurt. All of the others are laying perfect eggs.

If this keeps happening, at what point do we consider it a "problem"?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Don't worry.

It can take a couple weeks for them to get it right. The extra calcium you are giving should have her cleared up in a week or two.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Only a problem if it goes on for a week or more. . . It is natural for a new layer to have glitches in her eggs. [​IMG]

I don't even supplement extra calcium and I have tough as nails egg shells. [​IMG]

4. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I have two BO and one of them, and one of my other breeds had this problem. It sorted itself out in a few weeks time. I do like to give extra calcium....just cause I like a good hard egg shell and I can't seem to get that without supplimenting it.

5. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    I have a almost 2 year old hen and she is still laying me Rubber eggs. Well at least when fluff feels like laying an egg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by