3 Salmon Faverolles - Cockerel or Pullet?

southernhusky

Chirping
Aug 30, 2015
Supposed to be a trio. I've read cockerels are darker but one of these is dark like the supposed Roo. And the roo doesn't have very red combs yet either. 10-12 weeks approximate.

I'm not familiar with the breed so i would be hesitant to even guess - I'm seeing conflicting signs of saddle feathers (I'm sure they can't be) with small comb development. Number 2 looks girly to me.

It will be interesting to hear what the experts think.
CT

PS - there's a thread on Faverolles if you haven't already checked it out.

Yep, that's a trio.

I have a cockerel of this breed who is 8 months and just getting a red comb. He's still totally uninterested in mating and a great big fraidy cat of the dominant rooster. He hangs with my "special" elderly Faverolles hen.

Looks like a cockerel and 2 pullets to me... note how the cockerels head and neck is very light while the rest of his body is dark... and the pullets have very light breasts, while his is dark... variations in shades of color can happen, what is important is the male and female patterning is different... hope this helps... :)

Yep, that's a trio.

I have a cockerel of this breed who is 8 months and just getting a red comb. He's still totally uninterested in mating and a great big fraidy cat of the dominant rooster. He hangs with my "special" elderly Faverolles hen.
Looks like a cockerel and 2 pullets to me... note how the cockerels head and neck is very light while the rest of his body is dark... and the pullets have very light breasts, while his is dark... variations in shades of color can happen, what is important is the male and female patterning is different... hope this helps...
smile.png
X2 on both of the above posts; you have one cockerel (the dark feathered one) and the others are pullets.

Thanks for the confirmation! I did so much reading and looking at saddle/hackle feather pictures that Pullet #1 just looks like she has some pointy ones.

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation! I did so much reading and looking at saddle/hackle feather pictures that Pullet #1 just looks like she has some pointy ones.

Some colors/patterns make it difficult to see whether they are really pointed or not... but with many purebred breeds, depending on their colors, they will have distinctly different patterns... :)

Hatchery quality trio. Cockerels can be very messy color-wise when young. He will look much different at maturity. The pullets won't change much in appearance.

Back
Top Bottom