3 sizes in one day and blood on an egg - help?!

5aracuanasinVT

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
This is my first post, besides one I just left on the Newcomers page today, so please forgive if I haven't got all this right. I know you folks can be a big help and also can relate to my spending hours watching my hens. They are currently being herded around by my Maremma sheepdog; we have no sheep but she is very protective of the hens but sometimes gets a little playful. They stand their ground with her and the herding is not too successful, but better than my attempts!

These are 3 eggs I got from my 5 ees yesterday (yes my name is 5 aracuanasin VT, but now I know that's a misnomer...still, i like it, ok?)
They are 3.33, 2.5 and 2 ounces; is this normal to have such different sizes from hens that are the same age and have always been together?

Also, I am worried about this as I think this hen (I think it is Henny Penny) almost always has blood on her eggs. I read the forum and am now giving them some fat in their diet, like cream cheese or suet, which they love. Is there anything else I can do?

Nancy

PandoraTaylor

RT Poultry n Things
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Alaska
eggs are kinda like a fingerprint, they vary according to the hen, in size, shape & Color. I have 1 EE that lays a blue-green egg that has a darker blue stripe around the middle.
thumbsup.gif

edited for spelling!

Last edited:

5aracuanasinVT

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
Wow, I'd love to see that one. I've learned so much today by reading posts; I had never seen wrinkly eggs before, but if I do now I won't be freaked out!
Thanks, this place is great fun and very helpful.

newchicksnducks

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2009
Richfield, Summit Co.,Ohio
My EE's all laid distinctively different eggs...my white EE laid cream eggs (until a hawk got her at Christmas:() My two golden EE lay olive green eggs. I can always tell if it is from my crooked beak girl or her sister. The sister's eggs always have the smaller end that feels like sandpaper:)

Top Bottom