3 sizes in one day and blood on an egg - help?!

5aracuanasinVT

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
This is my first post, besides one I just left on the Newcomers page today, so please forgive if I haven't got all this right. I know you folks can be a big help and also can relate to my spending hours watching my hens. They are currently being herded around by my Maremma sheepdog; we have no sheep but she is very protective of the hens but sometimes gets a little playful. They stand their ground with her and the herding is not too successful, but better than my attempts!

These are 3 eggs I got from my 5 ees yesterday (yes my name is 5 aracuanasin VT, but now I know that's a misnomer...still, i like it, ok?)
They are 3.33, 2.5 and 2 ounces; is this normal to have such different sizes from hens that are the same age and have always been together?

Also, I am worried about this as I think this hen (I think it is Henny Penny) almost always has blood on her eggs. I read the forum and am now giving them some fat in their diet, like cream cheese or suet, which they love. Is there anything else I can do?

Nancy

eggs are kinda like a fingerprint, they vary according to the hen, in size, shape & Color. I have 1 EE that lays a blue-green egg that has a darker blue stripe around the middle.
thumbsup.gif

edited for spelling!

Last edited:
Wow, I'd love to see that one. I've learned so much today by reading posts; I had never seen wrinkly eggs before, but if I do now I won't be freaked out!
Thanks, this place is great fun and very helpful.

My EE's all laid distinctively different eggs...my white EE laid cream eggs (until a hawk got her at Christmas:() My two golden EE lay olive green eggs. I can always tell if it is from my crooked beak girl or her sister. The sister's eggs always have the smaller end that feels like sandpaper:)

Back
Top Bottom