3 Speckled Hens, not sure if one is a Rooster, HELP!

Oh yes, those photos are conclusive. That's a cockerel, all right. If he seems aggressive toward the other two, you've likely seen his first, awkward attempts at mating. They grab hold of neck feathers and try to mount. The females (being many weeks away from laying, yet) are not mature and will resist his efforts. That won't stop him from trying again, though. With only two pullets getting all of his attention, it may be rough on them. He'll also be crowing at full volume soon and may already be trying (sounds like a squeaky hinge at first).

If you intend to keep him, they would all benefit from a better male:female ratio. I know 6 wasn't enough for my cockerel (bared all of their backs) and I can't imagine that sort of energy being devoted to two.

Aww no I've become so attached to them all. But I bought them for eggs so what should I do with him?
sad.png

Thank you for your help!
smile.png
Can you keep roosters in your area? If you can you can always hang on to him. Roosters are great for protecting your flock, and if you ever want to hatch eggs from your girls. You can always get another one or two hens to make up for him not laying eggs. Roosters don't eat very much at all, so you won't have to worry about extra feed costs for keeping him. Hens eat a lot because they need the food for themselves and food to produce eggs. Roosters only eat enough to sustain themselves. If you can't or don't want to keep him, you can try posting in this part of the forum to try and find him a good home.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

As long as he isn't aggresive towards your girls (more than necessary) you should be able to have 5 hens with him. A few more wouldn't hurt if you are able to afford more. It depends on the rooster when it comes to how many hens you should have with a one.

Last edited:
Advertise him on craigslist or at your feed store. I know you're attached now, but you didn't want a rooster in the first place and you probably need the room for another egg layer. Crowing and mating aren't for everyone, and not all backyard flocks need or want a rooster. Stick with your first plan and you'll probably be much happier.

Back
Top Bottom