3 week chick with swollen toe

mejsmom1

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Kentucky
Hi,
I have a chick from Meyer hatchery. She is 3 weeks old and I picked her up shortly after hatch. She lives on pine shavings with the other chicks. I believe she is a Sumatra. She is very small, much smaller than the Welsummers the same age and about the size of the Hamburg chick.
Today I took them outside for a little run on the grass and noticed the Sumatra was limping and holding up her foot. I checked it and her toe is swollen badly. She is eating/drinking normally but trying not to walk on her foot and laying down a lot. Her toe was orange with a little black when we were outside but by the time I got pictures taken about 1 1/2 hours later it was blacker.
I have Hibiclens (chlorhexadine) antiseptic so I soaked it about 15 minutes in a Hibiclens/water solution and put her back with the others. I have antibiotic powder from Tractor Supply that I could mix up and give her orally.
Does she need oral antibiotic? Should I try to lance it? Her toe is so tiny!! Should I isolate her? She is a quiet little thing and seems a little nervous so I'm not sure she'd appreciate being alone.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Here she is a few days ago out on the grass. She is very cute!

I doubt if the chick needs an oral antibiotic, but some bacitracin or plain neosporin ointment on the wound would help. It looks like it was stepped on, or even could be some frostbite on the tip of the toe. It might have been from pecking also.

I'd use Wound-Kote by Farnam, it's a blue spray wound dressing. I've used it on my ducks, chickens, dogs. Neosporin is great stuff
but the blue spray is an antiseptic and germicidal, so even if she steps in poop, it won't go septic. But if you get it on your hands, you will be blue for a couple of hand washings ;-) You can get it at most feed stores and Tractor Supply.

I had a chick that was 6 weeks old and she broke her leg, it was a clean break above the knee but below the hip. I mean her leg was swinging in the breeze, I made a splint with a straw, ket her off of it for a couple weeks, and boom good as new! I got lucky, but at that age, they grow so fast, they heal fast too. I'd focus on clean bedding, and try keeping her toe clean for a couple of days.

Best of luck and please keep us posted

So you think it might be broken? She was pecking at it earlier and limping but then a few minutes later she ran around a little bit without limping. She has not been outside except in the sun when it was over 70 degrees so she can't have frostbite. They are in my house in a big box. I'll put some neosporin on it after I soak it again then try to get the blue spray tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom