3 week old barred rock came from LFS without a tail

Haykayla

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2021
I will post a pic of her bum. All her buddies have tail feathers but when I got home from the feed store and checked for poopy butt as I put them in the brooder, I noticed she was quite bare. I cleaned her bum with a warm wet rag, but it seems crusty again.

What can I do to help her out?
20210318_110828.jpg

No tail feathers

20210318_105624.jpg

Red bare bum

Other chickies for reference:
20210318_110823.jpg

Can you get a clearer photo of the vent?

Looks like it may have been pecked (?)
I would keep it cleaned and apply a little triple antibiotic ointment to any scabs/wounds. If the vent is damaged, then the chick might be leaking some urates/poop.

I would observe the others, if they are picking at her vent, then it would be good to separate her out. If your brooder is big enough, place a wire barrier in there so she can still be next to the others.

Can you get a clearer photo of the vent?

Looks like it may have been pecked (?)
I would keep it cleaned and apply a little triple antibiotic ointment to any scabs/wounds. If the vent is damaged, then the chick might be leaking some urates/poop.

I would observe the others, if they are picking at her vent, then it would be good to separate her out. If your brooder is big enough, place a wire barrier in there so she can still be next to the others.
I haven't been able to catch anyone being naughty... and it's hard to get a picture by myself!
Here's the best attempt today:
ec5c1b2d89ef334fe994236798a1fee4267e70ed-14.jpg

Will her tail feathers ever come in?

Feather will eventually grow in, but the vent scabs need care. Apply triple antibiotic ointment and keep the vent clean of poop.
Hard to tell if it's protruding much, but if prolapsing, then you may need to soak the vent in a little warm epsom salts bath. Dry very well (use a hair dryer) before placing her back in the brooder.

Feather will eventually grow in, but the vent scabs need care. Apply triple antibiotic ointment and keep the vent clean of poop.
Hard to tell if it's protruding much, but if prolapsing, then you may need to soak the vent in a little warm epsom salts bath. Dry very well (use a hair dryer) before placing her back in the brooder.
Oh gee whiz! How do I get the lil chickie to sit still for that? 0.o

Do you have someone that can help you?

If we can see the vent more clearly, it might help.
I think if the vent is not swollen too much, I would just keep it cleaned well (gently since the skin can tear) and apply the ointment.

Is the chick able to poop o.k.? No issues like straining or having a hard time going poop?

Do you have someone that can help you?

If we can see the vent more clearly, it might help.
I think if the vent is not swollen too much, I would just keep it cleaned well (gently since the skin can tear) and apply the ointment.

Is the chick able to poop o.k.? No issues like straining or having a hard time going poop?
She seems to be eating fine. I haven't heard or noticed distress at any point these last few days. Cleaned her bum on day 1, but had to do it again today with some antibiotic after. She was not happy with me.

Tomorrow being Saturday I will try to get my husband to help take a better bum photo.

Back
Top Bottom