1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 week old bully

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mochicken, Jan 14, 2012.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I know the solution for a bully quail is to eat him lol but I happen to like the color of this one and since they are young I had a question.

I have a 3 week old Manchurian Coturnix that is in a grow out / brooder pen with 15 others and has suddenly decided he is a bully, I am only guessing the sex of it since it has a full golden chest at 3 weeks old. He is just spending most of the time running around the cage picking on anyone who holds still long enough.

Is that just "him" establishing a pecking order or do I need to separate him from the others?

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I'd eat him. lol

sorry, I know that helped nothing. :) Maybe separate him from the others? But he may never play nice, so be prepared for that.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Some quail are never going to get along,no matter how much time passes or quail you mix with them. If you really fancy this one, you could keep him separate from the others, although in view of the others. You could bring him inside and make a pet out of him. Just some thoughts.

4. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Is he just being a butt or causing injury? If there is no bloodshed, I'd watch (like a hawk) and wait. If the others are getting hurt.....I'd separate and decide from there. If you want to keep the color, maybe worth your time to try regrouping options? JMHO

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    AS A 3 WK OLD QUAIL HE'S ESTABOLISHING DOMINANCE IN THE PECKING ORDER.... CULLING AND COOKING IS WAY TOO FAR OUT OF THE REALM OF POSSIBILITIES AT THIS TIME. AS STATED EARLIER NO BLOOD NO FOUL, WATCH CLOSELY AND LET IT RIDE

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    BESIDES AT 3 WKS OLD WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH IT? SHOVE THE CARCASS DOWN ON A TOOTH PICK AND ROAST IT WITH A BIC LIGHTER? I MEAN A 3 WEEK OLD COT WOULD BE LIKE COOKING A BUTTON QUAIL....

7. jamie78

jamie78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I had two leghorn chicks, both turned out to be hens, but one did not like the other. Thought for sure she was actually a he since she was so bad. But she has turned out wonderfully, very much a free spirit and only fusses now when she wants the treat that everyone else wants too. [​IMG]

8. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    lol JJ I thought about roasting him and eating it bones and all on a cracker lmao He would definitely not be much eating lol

9. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i agree with jj . he's a baby still so just keep watching him and see how he grows out .[​IMG]

10. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    HA....love the bic lighter part.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by