3 week old bully

mochicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
NW Missouri
I know the solution for a bully quail is to eat him lol but I happen to like the color of this one and since they are young I had a question.

I have a 3 week old Manchurian Coturnix that is in a grow out / brooder pen with 15 others and has suddenly decided he is a bully, I am only guessing the sex of it since it has a full golden chest at 3 weeks old. He is just spending most of the time running around the cage picking on anyone who holds still long enough.

Is that just "him" establishing a pecking order or do I need to separate him from the others?

I'd eat him. lol

sorry, I know that helped nothing. :) Maybe separate him from the others? But he may never play nice, so be prepared for that.

Some quail are never going to get along,no matter how much time passes or quail you mix with them. If you really fancy this one, you could keep him separate from the others, although in view of the others. You could bring him inside and make a pet out of him. Just some thoughts.

Is he just being a butt or causing injury? If there is no bloodshed, I'd watch (like a hawk) and wait. If the others are getting hurt.....I'd separate and decide from there. If you want to keep the color, maybe worth your time to try regrouping options? JMHO

Last edited:
AS A 3 WK OLD QUAIL HE'S ESTABOLISHING DOMINANCE IN THE PECKING ORDER.... CULLING AND COOKING IS WAY TOO FAR OUT OF THE REALM OF POSSIBILITIES AT THIS TIME. AS STATED EARLIER NO BLOOD NO FOUL, WATCH CLOSELY AND LET IT RIDE

BESIDES AT 3 WKS OLD WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH IT? SHOVE THE CARCASS DOWN ON A TOOTH PICK AND ROAST IT WITH A BIC LIGHTER? I MEAN A 3 WEEK OLD COT WOULD BE LIKE COOKING A BUTTON QUAIL....

I had two leghorn chicks, both turned out to be hens, but one did not like the other. Thought for sure she was actually a he since she was so bad. But she has turned out wonderfully, very much a free spirit and only fusses now when she wants the treat that everyone else wants too.
cool.png

lol JJ I thought about roasting him and eating it bones and all on a cracker lmao He would definitely not be much eating lol

BESIDES AT 3 WKS OLD WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH IT? SHOVE THE CARCASS DOWN ON A TOOTH PICK AND ROAST IT WITH A BIC LIGHTER? I MEAN A 3 WEEK OLD COT WOULD BE LIKE COOKING A BUTTON QUAIL....

i agree with jj . he's a baby still so just keep watching him and see how he grows out .
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom