1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 Week Old Chick - Excessive Itching/Preening??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gotweim, Mar 18, 2011.

1. gotweim

gotweim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Romeo, MI
    I have a 3 week old Barred Rock Pullet who seems to be itching more than the others I have. How much is normal preening and itching and what is excessive?

I was down watching the brooder for about 3-4 mins and she did it the entire time. Under her wings, her behind and her chest. I have noticed that everyday more and more feathers are coming in and she seems to be filling out faster than the others.....could it just be the feathers coming in and bothering her? She also flaps her wings and runs like something is chasing her! She then stops and starting the itching/preening all over again!

Is this just silly chick antics or could it be something more? Lice? Mites? They have never left their brooder and they are in my finished basement, they've never been outdoors......how do they get lice or mites? I use pine shavings as bedding....

2. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Check closely for mites and lice, but I'm guessing that growing feathers is a very itchy process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by