3 Week Old Chick Limping

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
I was out of town for the weekend, my mom watched all the animals for us. When we got back, I noticed one of our 3 week old bielefelder chicks was limping. Not able to stand, in a crouched position. I see no visible signs of injury on the legs...at least to me. Chick does not seem lethargic, eyes open. He hobbles over to the food and eats then goes back under the heater. I gave him electrolytes but I'm not sure what else to do. Should I separate him from everyone else? I didn't notice any diarrhea or bloody stool. All other chicks are very active and seem perfectly fine.

It could be the chick twisted it somehow,and it will cure itself. Could be hyperextension of some sort. Check it over really well. Without more info, it's hard to tell. Look for slipped tendon, as suggested above, and anything abnormal/bruised possibly. Otherwise...I have had a few chicks that hyperextend something, in their excitement, and shenanigans. After a couple days , they were fine. Drinking and eating tells me it isn't terribly bad. Watch the baby closely. Again, without more info it is hard to say. Best of luck and keep us posted on the little guy. ☺️🐣🧚

It could be the chick twisted it somehow,and it will cure itself. Could be hyperextension of some sort. Check it over really well. Without more info, it's hard to tell. Look for slipped tendon, as suggested above, and anything abnormal/bruised possibly. Otherwise...I have had a few chicks that hyperextend something, in their excitement, and shenanigans. After a couple days , they were fine. Drinking and eating tells me it isn't terribly bad. Watch the baby closely. Again, without more info it is hard to say. Best of luck and keep us posted on the little guy. ☺️🐣🧚
I think he must of injured himself somehow, jumping around. He still isn't 100% better, but he is standing and walking now. Eats and drinks normally still. This group of chicks are escape artists and they keep attempting to jump out of the brooder. I think he must have tried that. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom