3 week old chick sick...help!

jennfromtexas

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
I am a brand new chicken mama and would love some feedback. I just woke up to my little 6 chick flock's loud chirps. When I went to check on them, they were trying to fly out of the galvanized trough I am raising them in (thankfully there was chicken wire over the top). One little lady was underneath one of the perches inside, like she was hiding. I noticed her eyes were closed, and when I went to pick her up and separate her from the rest of the flock, I knew she was sick. She would flap her wings wildly, her eyes wouldn't open, and her neck was very loose and floppy. I didn't see any marks that would indicate injury, so I am assuming it is an illness. I moved her to a separate bed and tried to force some water on her, but I finally had to walk out. I couldn't watch her struggle.
As I said, I am a brand new chicken mama, so if anyone has any idea as to what might be wrong, I would gladly hear your thoughts. I am pretty certain she is not going to make it, and I am concerned for the rest of the flock, although they seem fine so far. I am trying my best to raise organic chickens without antibiotics or any unnecessary meds, so if anyone has suggestions for natural remedies, that would be very helpful as well. Thank you in advance for your help!

Welcome to BYC. She may have shipping stress, or be a weak chick. Do you have any SaveAChick electrolytes packets? You can also make them, or at least mix some sugar in their water. Try dipping her beak into the water to get her to drink several times an hour. Also make sure you have a thermometer on the brooder floor, and the temperature is 90-95F in the warmest area, but also have a cooler spot to get away from the heat. I hope your chick improves.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION from TheChickenChick.com
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most grocery stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

Sorry for your loss. This is a common thing with new chicks unfortunately. Try to give your others the electrolyte water today, then maybe tomorrow , and discontinue it. The others may be fine, but this may help if they are stressed.

I'm sorry that she did not make it. Sometimes chicks have something wrong that we just can't figure out, and it's nothing that we did to cause it. (((Hugs))).

Chickens are strange creatures that seem to be both hearty and delicate at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom