3 week old chick with 1/2 tail pecked off and bleeding! Help!

newchick13

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
Somers NY
I just noticed that one of my 13 little 3 week old babies had a bloody tail! It looks like half of the tail feathers are missing and the skin around the area is purple. I didn't see the culprit/culprits. Not knowing what to do, we enlarged the brooder area and gave the girls lots of fun things to peck at as a distraction (corn cobs, lettuce, and a chick treat thingy on a stick). I read somewhere to put Vicks Vapo rub on the area (since it tastes like poo) but I'm not sure how to handle this. I have done lots of reading and it seems like there are as many opinions as there are breeds of chickens! We are first time "parents" but have done so much research that our brains are mush....I am worried! Help!
jumpy.gif

I would separate her until you get some bluecote to put on it so the other ones don't peck more at it. Antibiotic ointment with no pain relievers in it. If she seems uncomfortable you could give her part of a baby aspirin. Electrolytes and vitamins in the water will help her recover too. Good luck .

Hi! I am sorry you are experiencing something I, too, am going through! I had a hen just Sunday get her throat feathers ripped out, and she was bleeding a bit. I have separated her. I did get Blu kote and, while it will prevent her from getting infected, and turn her feathers and my hands purple, for sure, I put her in with my other girls after two days, thinking the blu kote would prevent further pecking and the first thing they did was go right for her neck, over and over. I would say keep her separated until she has feathered out enough to make the area unnoticeable, by any means! Better safe than sorry! Good luck!

Best thing to prevent feather picking is to see who is picking - and clip their beak. And you have to remove the chick with a boo-boo, as EVERYBODY will peck at it and keep it bleeding. This sounds like a pocket peeper to me. Put it in your pocket, and take it with you everywere. Let it heal up. It's probably bottom chick, so it will get pecked.

Beak clipping - take toenail clippers and nip off the TIP only of the top beak. This leaves a little curved area that a feather will slip thru. Don't worry, it doesn't hurt, and itwill grow back. Don't nip too much, or it will bleed, additional trouble. Hope this helps.

Blukot first...but if that doesn't work, pine tar...I hate pine tar, it is sticky, stinky and in general a mess, but it will stop picking. However, since she is being so stressed, I would isolate. It should only take a few days for things to heal up. After she is better, put her back with the flock. Watch them closely. Figure out who your bullies are. Once you find the bully, remove her into isolation for 3-5 days. This will "reset" the pecking order. Chickens have short memories, so with the bully gone for several days, they won't remember she was at the top of the hieracrchy. I've not had to trim a beak yet....but I've isolated bullies with very good results. Good Luck!

I have separated her, and now i am noticing she's picking herself! UGH...local stores don't have blu kote or pine tar. One friend swears by cornstarch.

Picking herself is not good!!! Sounds like you might need to try the VICKS if you can't get Blu-kot or Pine Tar......Is she getting enough protein? When I notice feather picking, I 'up' the protein in my feed by mixing game bird with the normal layer. Of course, she is too young for that so I am stumped. All I can suggest is Vicks......maybe someone else has an idea.....sorry, and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom