3 week old chick with head bobble....

KTschicks

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
Hi! I love all the fabulous things I have learned on here! I picked up 10 chicks from the feed store about 3 weeks ago. Mix of Silkie and Frizzle Cochin Bantams. I have an existing flock of 14 that I have raised from day old chicks or hatched myself. I gave the 10 chicks to my black tailed Japanese hen that was broody and she has been a fantastic mom. My question comes as one of the Silkies began weaving/bobbling its head one day ago. Today makes day two. As I perused the boards I saw some posts that had chicks putting their heads down between their legs, but this one is doing a more 'Stevie Wonder' routine.... then goes back to normal. She has developed along the same as the rest and has not exhibited any respiratory symptoms. They are on Tractor Supply chick crumbles and have had Nutri-drench and Probios added to their water from day one. After the first week isolated in the coop with my hen they have been out in a pen with her to scratch and sun bathe while everyone else free-ranges. Anyone seen this before? Thank you!

I'm new to this, but I've been reading a lot about problems in the crop lately. My chicks are the same age. I lost one a week ago that I believe may have had an impacted crop. She was doing some 'Stevie' moves too. Unfortunately I didn't know anything about the crop until it was too late. I'm sure some experienced folks will chime in soon.

Hi! I love all the fabulous things I have learned on here! I picked up 10 chicks from the feed store about 3 weeks ago. Mix of Silkie and Frizzle Cochin Bantams. I have an existing flock of 14 that I have raised from day old chicks or hatched myself. I gave the 10 chicks to my black tailed Japanese hen that was broody and she has been a fantastic mom. My question comes as one of the Silkies began weaving/bobbling its head one day ago. Today makes day two. As I perused the boards I saw some posts that had chicks putting their heads down between their legs, but this one is doing a more 'Stevie Wonder' routine.... then goes back to normal. She has developed along the same as the rest and has not exhibited any respiratory symptoms. They are on Tractor Supply chick crumbles and have had Nutri-drench and Probios added to their water from day one. After the first week isolated in the coop with my hen they have been out in a pen with her to scratch and sun bathe while everyone else free-ranges. Anyone seen this before? Thank you!

Im new to this too... One of mine was doing the head bobbing thing a couple weeks ago... It was a crop issue.... I gave her olive oil, Monistat for sour crop, and massaged.. I seperated her from the other Sussex and limited food..., I fed eggs with olive oil..... Have you checked her crop for squishiness like a water ballon? Or hardness?

Thanks guys! I sure will check that this morning. When you read the alternatives you think "My flock will DIE!!!!" It's like going on to webmd to diagnose yourself. Lol

Thanks guys! I sure will check that this morning. When you read the alternatives you think "My flock will DIE!!!!" It's like going on to webmd to diagnose yourself. Lol

I know what you mean!! I've had one thing after another with mine...but slowly getting better... Chicken raising is harder than I thought....Lol.

I know what you mean!! I've had one thing after another with mine...but slowly getting better... Chicken raising is harder than I thought....Lol.

I agree! I worry about these little birds almost as much as my human babies. It's also far more therapeutic than I had anticipated. Love my chickens!:yiipchick

So how is the little one this morning?

It sounds to me that the chick has wry neck. Poly Vi Sol infant vitamin drops without iron with Selenium tablets and vitamin E capsules added can help with wry neck.

Back
Top Bottom