3-week old chick with neck irritation and no feathers

Devorah

Songster
Feb 28, 2022
Leyden, Massachusetts
I just noticed that one of my 3-week old chicks (Speckled Sussex) has a very irritated neck with no feathers. She may have been pecked. All the others seem robust and fine. I just isolated her from the others in a small brooder. She is drinking and eating. Here are photos. What is this and what can I do?!
0FCB6661-E55A-4976-BA1E-63830089E1E5.jpeg

Are they all the same age and size? She may be meek. I like to leave them together to remain in the flock if possible. But you might want to try BluKote or an antipecking lotion to put on the bare skin to hide it. Nustock horse cream is very good too. Are they under a heat lamp? Red light tends to decrease pecking.

Are they all the same age and size? She may be meek. I like to leave them together to remain in the flock if possible. But you might want to try BluKote or an antipecking lotion to put on the bare skin to hide it. Nustock horse cream is very good too. Are they under a heat lamp? Red light tends to decrease pecking.
They are. I separated her out because I thought another chick may have been pecking at her. She is a little meek and was scared when I tried to pick her up (all the others usually come running toward me when I open the brooder). I was using a heat plate - no lamp. Someone suggested putting iodine on the neck. What do you think of that? What is the purpose of iodine?

2x ^^^ best to keep her with the rest or when you try to put her back, the pecking will be even worst. If possible place her in a wire cage with food/water in the coop with the rest or section off an area for herthe brooder with the others

I took her out of the brooder because I thought there was pecking. I don’t know how to section off a part of the brooder. Oy! So you think I should get anti-pecking stuff to put on her neck and then put her back in the brooder?

That’s what I would do. I have had good luck with BluKote, while some say it may attract attention. Watch for any aggression. A small screen or piece of plastic poultry netting can work to separate her, but still be in the flock. They will be developing their pecking order from now on, so it would help to keep her there. If you do separate, let her be with them often while you supervise them.

That’s what I would do. I have had good luck with BluKote, while some say it may attract attention. Watch for any aggression. A small screen or piece of plastic poultry netting can work to separate her, but still be in the flock. They will be developing their pecking order from now on, so it would help to keep her there. If you do separate, let her be with them often while you supervise them.
Should I put her back then?

Back
Top Bottom