3 week old chick with progressive eye swelling and discharge, ?infectious respiratory disease

onerumplum

Hatching
Apr 7, 2020
Hi All,

We purchased 2 Australorp chicks, 3-4 weeks old from a Victorian breeder along with 3, 8week old pullets (wyandotte and vorwerks) last week Thursday.
The night we purchased them, I noticed a unilateral left sided swelling near the infraorbital(?) sinus area, but optimistically put it down to a knock/feathering irritation.
Yesterday (Monday), noticed progression to an irritation of the actual eye - increased swelling, closing over, discharge --> flushed with saline
Today (Tuesday), the eye is fully closed, with crusty discharge --> eye opened after flushed with saline twice today but appeared sore.
Tonight I have heard issues with noisy breathing, mainly a light rattle/whistle (like you might expect with a stuffy nose)
The chick appears otherwise active, and appears to be eating and drinking. Last chicken poop appeared normal.

The chick is currently housed inside, firstly in wood shavings and now with straw bedding and eating chick starter.
She is housed with one other Australorp chick. I considered separating them but thought this might increase stress, and thought that anything infectious would already be shared. The second chick does not appear to have any symptoms, no eye issues.
The only thing I have noticed in the second chick is intermittent extended periods of "yawning" which might be a sign of slightly laboured breathing?

I have contacted the seller with detailed information and pictures, her solution was simply to swap over the affected chick but I would rather keep her if possible and would also like to know the underlying issue in case it is infectious.
Before purchasing these chicks, the seller informed me that they had been vaccinated against Newcastle disease and a Respiratory disease (though didn't specify which).

My main concerns would be an infectious respiratory disease (Have been reading about coryza etc.)
The 8 week old pullets were kept inside overnight in the same room as the chicks, so am also concerned about having infecting them. I plan on quarantining them for 3 weeks before having them free range.
I also have two older hens (approx. 6 years old) and would be concerned about introducing potentially lifelong shedders into the flock.

My family and I have had chickens for a number of years, but I still feel out of my depths! Any help would be greatly appreciated, let me know if any further information would be helpful. The photos are uploaded in chronological order, (Wet feathers are from the saline flush).
92516456_1336221306566058_4845502564847845376_n.jpg

92788120_222152475802788_1728445159470792704_n.jpg 92741163_505204183487479_4369941709702823936_n.jpg 92394321_2708579172601431_2608442567821361152_n.jpg 92438310_1099530420423230_1771980335257485312_n.jpg 92516456_1336221306566058_4845502564847845376_n.jpg 92713199_153561552666452_8545394660154015744_n.jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi All,

We purchased 2 Australorp chicks, 3-4 weeks old from a Victorian breeder along with 3, 8week old pullets (wyandotte and vorwerks) last week Thursday.
The night we purchased them, I noticed a unilateral left sided swelling near the infraorbital(?) sinus area, but optimistically put it down to a knock/feathering irritation.
Yesterday (Monday), noticed progression to an irritation of the actual eye - increased swelling, closing over, discharge --> flushed with saline
Today (Tuesday), the eye is fully closed, with crusty discharge --> eye opened after flushed with saline twice today but appeared sore.
Tonight I have heard issues with noisy breathing, mainly a light rattle/whistle (like you might expect with a stuffy nose)
The chick appears otherwise active, and appears to be eating and drinking. Last chicken poop appeared normal.

The chick is currently housed inside, firstly in wood shavings and now with straw bedding and eating chick starter.
She is housed with one other Australorp chick. I considered separating them but thought this might increase stress, and thought that anything infectious would already be shared. The second chick does not appear to have any symptoms, no eye issues.
The only thing I have noticed in the second chick is intermittent extended periods of "yawning" which might be a sign of slightly laboured breathing?

I have contacted the seller with detailed information and pictures, her solution was simply to swap over the affected chick but I would rather keep her if possible and would also like to know the underlying issue in case it is infectious.
Before purchasing these chicks, the seller informed me that they had been vaccinated against Newcastle disease and a Respiratory disease (though didn't specify which).

My main concerns would be an infectious respiratory disease.
The 8 week old pullets were kept inside overnight in the same room as the chicks, so am also concerned about having infecting them. I plan on quarantining them for 3 weeks before having them free range.
I also have two older hens (approx. 6 years old) and would be concerned about introducing potentially lifelong shedders into the flock.

My family and I have had chickens for a number of years, but I still feel out of my depths! Any help would be greatly appreciated, let me know if any further information would be helpful. The photos are uploaded in chronological order, (Wet feathers are from the saline flush).View attachment 2078554
View attachment 2078550View attachment 2078551View attachment 2078552View attachment 2078553View attachment 2078554View attachment 2078555

Thank you!
Chickens infected develop severe respiratory distress and can cough up bloody mucus. ... Recovered birds can remain carriers of viruses and continue spreading the infection among susceptible chickens. Diagnosis: High loss of death and blood coughing (if present) are all very suggestive of ILT.

Chickens infected develop severe respiratory distress and can cough up bloody mucus. ... Recovered birds can remain carriers of viruses and continue spreading the infection among susceptible chickens. Diagnosis: High loss of death and blood coughing (if present) are all very suggestive of ILT.
Thank you for your reply! No coughing, or signs of blood as of yet but will keep an eye out for this progression.

Hi All,

My main concerns would be an infectious respiratory disease.

My family and I have had chickens for a number of years, but I still feel out of my depths! Any help would be greatly appreciated, let me know if any further information would be helpful. The photos are uploaded in chronological order, (Wet feathers are from the saline flush).View attachment 2078554
View attachment 2078550View attachment 2078551View attachment 2078552View attachment 2078553View attachment 2078554View attachment 2078555

Thank you!
I would definitely separate any chicks with these signs. I would use some type of antibiotic.
Twincitypoultrysupplies.com has many medications .I like pill form as many used in their water they dont like the taste so they don't drink enough of it. He sells drops for the eye also. I would buy a eye drop along with a antibiotic. Give him s call he may be able to tell you what he thinks would be best. Unfortunately with chickens most medications we use are actually labeled for other animal use so we learn as we go. I have raised chickens for more then 20years .I think we all are still learning new things on what's best. Good luck!

I would definitely separate any chicks with these signs. I would use some type of antibiotic.
Twincitypoultrysupplies.com has many medications .I like pill form as many used in their water they dont like the taste so they don't drink enough of it. He sells drops for the eye also. I would buy a eye drop along with a antibiotic. Give him s call he may be able to tell you what he thinks would be best. Unfortunately with chickens most medications we use are actually labeled for other animal use so we learn as we go. I have raised chickens for more then 20years .I think we all are still learning new things on what's best. Good luck!
Thank you! That is definitely a good tip for the tablet over liquid form of antibiotics

Back
Top Bottom