3 week old chicks and temperature concerns

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by arthurpete, Feb 26, 2013.

1. arthurpete

arthurpete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I have 26 chicks and 7 ducks sharing a brooder and it is getting awfully cramped. I noticed one of the ducks last night was harrassing the chicks, pecking feathers and what not. The chicks turn 3 weeks tomorrow and the ducks will be 3 this weekend.

The temps here are going to be a little crisp with highs in the mid 60's and lows in the mid to lower 30's. We have had 6 inches of rain here in the last few days so the ground will be damp for a few more. The chicks have mostly developed their wing feathers but are still a bit fuzzy and the ducks certainly dont look ready. I normally set up a cardboard box with litter (straw/shavings) inside the coop and direct a lamp towards the box but it is still open to drafts. I have always put out the chicks later in the spring when low are mid 40's-50's so i am wondering if the mid to low 30's will be an issue.

thoughts....

2. gcbsmommy

gcbsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    Sounds like you are in my neck of the woods. That is the weather we are anticipating in Central Florida. It's too soon to have your 3 week olds out there IMO. Can you relieve the crowding by removing the ducks and putting them in some temporary set up? A big cardboard moving box or something?

My chicks are almost 4 weeks old and I am DYING to get them off my enclosed porch and into the coop, but since it will be in the 30s for lows this weekend and I don't have electricity in the coop yet, they are staying on the porch until the cold snap ends, at least.

3. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    North central FL here. Mine are 2 weeks old and I have them in a brooder under the carport and want to change from the heat lamp to a regular 100w bulb, but too was concerned about to low temps. They're in one of those upside down box with a wire bottom brooders, so basically completely enclosed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by