3 week old chicks fights and mating rituals!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickbait, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Chickbait

Chickbait Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    I am curious, I have 12, 3 week old OEG bantams, I cannot determine the sex by looking at them. Last night I saw one attempting to mate with another, I will assume he is a rooster correct? Also there are 3 or 4 of them that rear up and sort of kick one another I am also assuming that these guys are roosters? they all play well, but I only noticed the 3 or 4 doing this special fighting dance.

I would appreciate your input

thank you

2. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like roos

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Now I could be wrong but I think, at 3 weeks, what you are seeing is typical chick behavior and not indicative of gender. I've never ever seen a roo try to mate at 3 weeks! It probably just looked like that's what s/he was doing. And as far as sparring goes, females do it, too. When my crew were around 8 weeks, then I was able to tell which one was my roo and which ones were pullets because he tried to mount them. I wouldn't draw any conclusions just yet! BTW, I LOVE OEGB's! I started with 2 silkies and an oegb and the oegb turned out to be my roo and the silkies turned out to be girls. I was glad he "showed" me they were girls because it's so darn hard to sex silkies! [​IMG]

4. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    3 weeks! that's very soon to be doing that! idk, u might be mistaken.
    i wait and look for the combs to tale male and female apart.

5. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Quote:today two of my little 2 week old chicks where rearing up and sparring. I thought only roos did that. Im really relieved that the girls do it too.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. Also, the dominant pullet can mount as a show of dominance.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

At 3 weeks they are figuring out who is top and who is not. A normal way of play fighting so to say to figure out dominance. You won't be seeing maiting behavior and gender behavior till at least 3 months, more likely 4. By 5-6 months, they will start to act their gender roles.

Right now, they'd be just babies!

8. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    We have had roosters mate at 6 weeks. They turned out mean. My 6 week old seramas started crowing at 4 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by