3 week old chicks suddenly dying

Carly Martin

In the Brooder
May 29, 2021
Hi everyone,

I’m new to chickens and thought I had done everything right for my girls, I had 11 three week old chicks that as of this morning we’re doing completely fine. Nothing unusual, I change their water every hour, they’re on medicated chick feed, they have a brinsea eco glow brooder that is working just fine, and their poop looked normal. Around 1 I checked on them and one was on the ground not doing well. As I was tending to her another one exhibited the same symptoms, they were weak, gasping and convulsing, with very limp necks. Within 2 hours I lost 8 of them, I have 3 left who I isolated and am giving electrolytes to.

I’m thinking it could be the pans my mother in law is using, this morning we were cooking for a small get together later in the afternoon and haven’t used these pans since getting the chicks, they’re non stick so it may be Teflon?

We moved the last three in a new brooder in the basement away from the possible fumes, but I’m at a loss as to what happened, I want to know to prevent my future flock from getting sick like this and to save my last 3 girls. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’m thinking it could be the pans my mother in law is using, this morning we were cooking for a small get together later in the afternoon and haven’t used these pans since getting the chicks, they’re non stick so it may be Teflon?
Definitely a possibility.
Dang, that stinks!

Hi everyone,

I’m new to chickens and thought I had done everything right for my girls, I had 11 three week old chicks that as of this morning we’re doing completely fine. Nothing unusual, I change their water every hour, they’re on medicated chick feed, they have a brinsea eco glow brooder that is working just fine, and their poop looked normal. Around 1 I checked on them and one was on the ground not doing well. As I was tending to her another one exhibited the same symptoms, they were weak, gasping and convulsing, with very limp necks. Within 2 hours I lost 8 of them, I have 3 left who I isolated and am giving electrolytes to.

We moved the last three in a new brooder in the basement away from the possible fumes, but I’m at a loss as to what happened, I want to know to prevent my future flock from getting sick like this and to save my last 3 girls. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Following... let me know if you figure anything out. I’ve had two batches of chicks die, the last batch all 7 died within an hour. It sounds like they all died the same way as yours. I had both batches 2-3 weeks each before they died. I am on day 4 of new chicks from a local breeder, and came home to 3 dead today. I can’t think of anything that’s killing them. These new ones are on medicated feed, fresh water, stable temp with a 125 watt bulb in a 4x4 brooder. They are also in a room if their own. I do have a cat that like to go in the room while we are there, but never comes into contact with them. I’ve raised chicks a long time ago (10+ years ago), and have never had issues like I do now

Following... let me know if you figure anything out. I’ve had two batches of chicks die, the last batch all 7 died within an hour. It sounds like they all died the same way as yours. I had both batches 2-3 weeks each before they died. I am on day 4 of new chicks from a local breeder, and came home to 3 dead today. I can’t think of anything that’s killing them. These new ones are on medicated feed, fresh water, stable temp with a 125 watt bulb in a 4x4 brooder. They are also in a room if their own. I do have a cat that like to go in the room while we are there, but never comes into contact with them. I’ve raised chicks a long time ago (10+ years ago), and have never had issues like I do now
My girls were in our sunroom which is right off the kitchen and we took the remaining 3 and moved them to the basement in a new brooder and immediately they improved. My Wyandotte was gasping for air and not responded and I wanted to give her a chance and put her in the basement with the remaining healthy two (one was a large Brahma, I think she had a stronger system and her size helped her make it) and within a few hours and some rooster booster she was up and eating. We hadn’t used the nonstick pans during the 3 weeks we had them before that day, so I’m thinking it might have been the Teflon or some other gas.
I hope that helps some, my last three are doing well today and we’ve aired out the house and got rid of those pans. I can’t say for sure if that’s what did it, but my Wyandotte immediately improved with going in the basement and getting some vitamins. If your chicks all died at once it could be something similar? We only thought of Teflon after my wife’s cousin mentioned that he had a parrot and got rid of all his nonstick pans. Good luck with your new chicks, I hope all works out!

I had 12 chicks hatch last year. All were doing well. Then 2 per day died until all were dead. They started acting tired and lifeless this symptom lasted only 1-2 days and they were gone. I finally figured out that I had lice in the nest box. I had a tragic accident myself and did not clean the coop as usual I had a shattered leg. Now I use diatomaceous earth to dust the babies butts in after hatching, just to be sure. My chicks are now 3 weeks old and doing well.

I had 12 chicks hatch last year. All were doing well. Then 2 per day died until all were dead. They started acting tired and lifeless this symptom lasted only 1-2 days and they were gone. I finally figured out that I had lice in the nest box. I had a tragic accident myself and did not clean the coop as usual I had a shattered leg. Now I use diatomaceous earth to dust the babies butts in after hatching, just to be sure. My chicks are now 3 weeks old and doing well.
I recommend you skip the DE, if you have to dust them, use corn starch. DE is harmful if breathed to animals and people.
Why do you dust them?

I recommend you skip the DE, if you have to dust them, use corn starch. DE is harmful if breathed to animals and people.
Why do you dust them?

@Ageless Chicks Best to dust the broody mama, and her nest, at the beginning of her setting.
And use permethrin, as DE will not kill an infestation of bugs.

Back
Top Bottom