3 week old chicks

tjd85

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2022
Rowley, West Midlands, England
Hi,

I been rearing my own quail chicks for the first time and they're now 3 weeks old. I'm starting to sex them via the breast feathers. So far, 1 is definitely a male but some of the others are harder to tell. They have a little bit of a red fleck buy it's not as strong as the definite male. Any tips?

Hi,

I been rearing my own quail chicks for the first time and they're now 3 weeks old. I'm starting to sex them via the breast feathers. So far, 1 is definitely a male but some of the others are harder to tell. They have a little bit of a red fleck buy it's not as strong as the definite male. Any tips?
What type of Quail are you rasing?

Hi, yeh the are Coturnix quail. Im faiy confident that the top ones a male. The second picture is slightly more ambiguous.
20230228_192129.jpg
20230228_192106.jpg

Too soon to tell. Just because the feathers are light doesn't mean the chick is male. Other things I do: males chirp females usually don't. Males are more bold females not so much. You may see mock fights now. If all these fail take out all and see if the bird calls out the distinctive call. This works well but only if the bird is about 8 weeks old or more

Back
Top Bottom