3 week old Cuckoo marans

Hadynt

Chirping
Apr 22, 2020
Uk
Hi all,

I have 9 3 week old Cuckoo marans. I thought at hatching that I had a lot of boys (from headshots) but they are feathering up and still seem very dark. In the pic there are 2 that are clearly lighter than the other 7 but I cannot believe that I have been that lucky. Anyone want to correct me?

Attachments

• IMG_20220711_193118~2.jpg
    IMG_20220711_193118~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 50
Morning @Hadynt can I ask how these turned out?
Morning - still not sure to be honest- they are only 4.5weeks still there has not been any dramatic changes in colours,comb or wattles so hopeful I have a decent number of hens! Will update when I know more!

Morning - still not sure to be honest- they are only 4.5weeks still there has not been any dramatic changes in colours,comb or wattles so hopeful I have a decent number of hens! Will update when I know more!

Of course I didn't register the time stamp.

I've got 3 legbar x Marans cross and I'm trying to figure out if one of them is a boy. They can't be sexed because the cross is the wrong way and I have one with a huge comb, one with a medium but same as the pullet cream legbar that's the same age and one with a small one.

Gosh the wait is painful isn't it! 🤣

Of course I didn't register the time stamp.

I've got 3 legbar x Marans cross and I'm trying to figure out if one of them is a boy. They can't be sexed because the cross is the wrong way and I have one with a huge comb, one with a medium but same as the pullet cream legbar that's the same age and one with a small one.

Gosh the wait is painful isn't it! 🤣
Ahh I had some of the non sexable marsbars that I hatched out of bought eggs. Only had 2 hatch that were both female so I didn't notice any difference along the way. I've since hatched some of my own marsbars which are the right way around to be sexable.

Ahh I had some of the non sexable marsbars that I hatched out of bought eggs. Only had 2 hatch that were both female so I didn't notice any difference along the way. I've since hatched some of my own marsbars which are the right way around to be sexable.

I haven't found anyone with the wrong way round chicks but do these crossed produce a comb early on?
We've got a another Maran hybrid and she had a pretty big comb that I was worried about for a while but it stayed pale and I'm pretty sure at 8 weeks she's a pullet. No male behaviour whatsoever. But the comb was pretty big switch no wattles.

I haven't found anyone with the wrong way round chicks but do these crossed produce a comb early on?
We've got a another Maran hybrid and she had a pretty big comb that I was worried about for a while but it stayed pale and I'm pretty sure at 8 weeks she's a pullet. No male behaviour whatsoever. But the comb was pretty big switch no wattles.
The 2 I had didn't have particularly big combs at all. With the Cuckoo marans I currently have the 2 I think are definitely male due to colouration 1 has a huge comb the other nothing. Some are just difficult to tell annoyingly. Had the same with some orpingtons the other day. I thought 2 cocks 1 hen and ended up other way around

The 2 I had didn't have particularly big combs at all. With the Cuckoo marans I currently have the 2 I think are definitely male due to colouration 1 has a huge comb the other nothing. Some are just difficult to tell annoyingly. Had the same with some orpingtons the other day. I thought 2 cocks 1 hen and ended up other way around

It is, isn't it!

I guess we have to sit tight and wait a bit longer 🫣

Update @ 6 weeks old. I can see 2 of the 9 have male plumage(the 2 whiter ones) and have large combs. The other 7 are darker and no large combs sticking out. Have I been that lucky to get 7 hens out of 9?

Attachments

• IMG_20220729_162333.jpg
    IMG_20220729_162333.jpg
    976.1 KB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom