3-week-old Silkie (sudden onset) trouble walking

alfy04

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 28, 2014
I am hoping someone can give me some advice as to what might be wrong and what I could do to help. This chick hatched with a hen and was completely normal until about a week ago. Almost overnight we noticed it was having trouble walking. She can still get around, she is just very wobbly. It appears that one let slips out to the side. We did connect a rubber band to both legs to see if it would help pull her weak let in. I have been supplementing with high quality electrolytes, vitamin B complex and vitamin E with Selenium. In the past 5 days she has not improved but she has also not gotten worse. She is eating and drinking. She is on sand in a brooder (so was never on aslick surface) with 3 other chicks and the mama hen. They have not been vaccinated and are on unmedicated starter feed. We clean the brooder frequently (scoop the sand). I have lost hens to Mareks in the past. The Mama hen is one of the few who has survived. These chicks come from stock that has developed a strong immune system over time. I thought 3 weeks was too young for Mareks, but maybe not. Could it be something else like coccidiosis? I don’t see any blood in her poop and have been doing vitamin therapy for 5 days. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have always heard that Mareks Shows up around 12-24 weeks, but maybe there is always an exception. I don’t think there is a toxin since they have been in the brooder. They are on Organic (non-medicated) starter. Could it be Cocci?

Back
Top Bottom