Hen struggling to walk

RoosterOnWatch

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2023
Hello everyone, I have a 3.5 year old Australorp who I love dearly that has suddenly lost the ability to walk. For the last 1-2 months she has been just a little bit wonky when walking, I figured due to her diet because she hasn't been eating as much as she should.

Until recently (a week ago) where I got her eating and she was walking normal. 2 nights ago I found her at the base of the stairs to henhouse and she was completely collapsed (not sitting on her feet) and she couldn't stand or walk. Over the last day she has gained the ability to stand (still wobbly) but she still can't walk whatsoever. When she does try to walk she just falls flat forward and lands on her chest.

Her legs seem very stiff and from what I've seen, she can't lift them up to be able to walk. I haven't found any blood on her, her poo looks normal and she still eats and drinks. I've currently been giving her poultry vitamin water, and various foods like crickets, mealworms, or cracked corn since she isn't eating any of her normal feed. She also is pretty sleepy, but probably because all she has been able to do is lie down.

Thanks

Do you notice that she refuses to eat or has a hard time pecking straight. I have a similar situation with one of my hens. I give her 1 capsule vitamin E and 1/4 capsule vitamin b conplex a day and it seems to help.

Do you notice that she refuses to eat or has a hard time pecking straight. I have a similar situation with one of my hens. I give her 1 capsule vitamin E and 1/4 capsule vitamin b conplex a day and it seems to help.
She refuses to eat proper chicken feed, I'm worried this might have been because she has been getting treats quite a bit recently and she prefers that over her usual feed.

She doesn't have any problem pecking straight.

At first I thought it could be a vitamin deficiency, thus I've been giving vitamin water, but I would've thought it would be more gradual rather than all of a sudden losing the ability to walk.

You’d be surprised. I’ve had chickens who seem fine one day and aren’t the next. They are very good at hiding things 😂
I would wet her food to try to get her to eat it. You could even mix treats in as an incentive. Getting food is probably the most important thing right now.

Back
Top Bottom