My Chicken Won't Stand Up Normally.

ChickenFamily17

Hatching
Mar 26, 2024
My chicken recently stopped walking normally and will barely stand up. She will stand up and then squat back down to eat. The other chickens noticed this and started pecking at her crown. We remove her from the coop most of the day and put her in a chicken tractor. We don't know what caused this or why she started doing this. She hasn't been laying any eggs either. She is still eating and drinking when she can get the energy to walk over to the water and food without getting pecked at. All she wants us to do is hold her. None of the other 10 chickens are doing this, just her. Any advice?

Is she sitting or walking on her hocks? Are her toes curled under? Does she lay eggs anymore? What is her diet? She may have a riboflavin deficiency, but she may have some condition causing this. How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? I would try giving her 1/2 tablet of human vitamin B complex or the super B complex. It is found in most pharmacies, and the Equate generic at Walmart is around $9.

she has been walking around more but we flipped her over onto her back and saw a huge bump. we think that it is an egg stuck. we don't think she has much longer unless there is a way to get it unstuck.

Where exactly is the bump, under the vent, on the vent, etc? Can you show a picture of it? Can you insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent to feel for an obstruction or egg? Do you have any calcium or Tums that you can give her orally, if it is a stuck egg?

we did an epsom salt bath 2 times yesterday and we put vegetable oil on her vent. she is walking more today and she laid 2 little potatoes looking eggs. she hasn't laid in 2 or so weeks.

we figured out that they are lash eggs unfortunately. we think she will pass sadly unless there is a last minute way to save her.

How is she doing? Is she eating and drinking, and getting around some? I would offer a human calcium citrate with vitamin d tablet, about 300 mg. That can help her pass more of the lash eggs if they are getting stuck. It can be common for hens to have this for awhile. It is not necessarily an immediate death sentence, but she sounds like she is having problems. She might perk up after passing the lash material. If she gets picked on, you might want to separate her. If she is straining to lay, give the calcium. Keep her comfortable, and if she seems miserable, think about putting her down. I would suggest doing a necropsy at home if you lose her, or having your state vet lab do a thorough one. Do take pictures of her organs if you do a necropsy. It is a good way of learning what goes on inside the reproductive tract and other organs.

she is getting around some and eating and drinking when she can. she is in a different coop away from the other 10 chickens.if we put her on antibiotics and she gets back to laying is it okay to still eat her eggs?

Back
Top Bottom