Chicken paralysis and coccidosis

rath303

Chirping
Jan 26, 2021
Hello, I have a chicken I believe has coccidosis. She did not quite have the symptoms of Marek. She has not been walking, her feet are still under her, both wings and head move fine. She started off with diarrhea and whiteish color stools. I have started her treatment for coccidosis and overall seems to be improving except she is still not able to walk or stand. She has started eating and drinking on her own. She is still peeing and no longer has diarrhea. So there has been improvements. I am wondering if the paralysis was caused by the coccidosisis there a chance that she will start walking again. We are on day 3.

Hello, I have a chicken I believe has coccidosis. She did not quite have the symptoms of Marek. She has not been walking, her feet are still under her, both wings and head move fine. She started off with diarrhea and whiteish color stools. I have started her treatment for coccidosis and overall seems to be improving except she is still not able to walk or stand. She has started eating and drinking on her own. She is still peeing and no longer has diarrhea. So there has been improvements. I am wondering if the paralysis was caused by the coccidosisis there a chance that she will start walking again. We are on day 3.
How old is your bird? Diet? Have you ever wormed? Any new birds? Crop feel? Is she laying? Has she laid recently?
Birds don't pee, like we do.

How old is your chicken? How long was she not eating and drinking on her own? Do you have any pictures of her or her droppings? Doe she lay eggs? Do you have a rooster who might have injured her? Can you try to check her vent with a clean finger to see if you feel an egg? Sometimes a stuck egg can press against the nerves in the legs causing temporary paralysis.

How old is your bird? Diet? Have you ever wormed? Any new birds? Crop feel? Is she laying? Has she laid recently?
Birds don't pee, like we do.
I know she is at least 1-2 years old, she is actually a rescue. So unsure if she was wormed or started on medicated food. I have not wormed her since I got her. She was laying but there was an undeveloped egg in the coop the day I found her. She was laying before this. I have her and the other rescue separate from the rest of my hens. I’ve had them since the end of last summer. We have not had any new hens. I didn’t know about the peeing guess lol but she has a paid under that is wet with what I had assumed was pee along with her poop which is now more solid and appearing more normal. The liquid on the pair seems like it’s just soaked with water. Poop appears to look normal now with normal colors. She has has food in her crop. It has not been full full but she does have a small one.

How old is your chicken? How long was she not eating and drinking on her own? Do you have any pictures of her or her droppings? Doe she lay eggs? Do you have a rooster who might have injured her? Can you try to check her vent with a clean finger to see if you feel an egg? Sometimes a stuck egg can press against the nerves in the legs causing temporary paralysis.
I can check her. If she had a stuck egg would she be having normal poops? I can get pictures of her next droppings. She had been laying eggs previously to her getting sick. She might have been a day of not eating and drinking. I saw her one morning and she was fine and then next night she was not.

I wanted to take her to a vet. However, we don’t have any that do chickens. I’ve called all my local places.

She has had the clear liquid on her pad several times a day. Sometimes it’s with poop and sometimes it’s not

Is she too weak to stand and walk? If you set her upright, will she try to walk and use her wings to balance? Does one leg feel unable to move or weaker than the other? How is she doing right now? Sorry that she is ill. A chicken sling might help to get her up and in front of food and water.

Back
Top Bottom