3 week old silkie with crossed under toe

MaryOos

Chirping
Jun 1, 2015
Raising my first ever flock here. Chicks are 3 weeks old now. I discovered last night that one of my silkie chicks has a crossed under toe. Not sure if she came to me this way? They have been on a bed of wood shavings covered over with paper towel to prevent splayed legs. She has been quite shy so I hadn't held her an awful lot. Last night she finally let me "calmly" hold her when I discovered it. I have seen folks on blogs who have splinted with chicken sandals made of various items. My favorite was pipe cleaner and vet tape. While I am very crafty and have faith in my skills of tiny sandal making, I am worried about shifting this toe back where it belongs. It is a very predominant cross. Will it be painful for her to have the toe shifted over where it belongs? Will I end up breaking it in order to get it back where it needs to be? It doesn't seem to be bothering her now but I am afraid it will be trouble when she is grown and outdoors. I will try and get pic in the morning (it is one of the big toes) but she s very skittish and quick with a very large brooder.

Thanks for advice you might have,
Mary

Poor Chickie. There is no straightening out her toe. If I try, ever so gently and slightly, to shift it back where it belongs she screams. Hopefully it won't cause her too much trouble in her lifetime. With a wiggly chick and a fluffy foot t was impossible to get a proper picture.

Thanks for the reply. I was told chickens were easy. Oy vey! I am beginning to wonder. She is smaller than the other silkie in the flock although they are both on the same diet of Grahams organic chick starter. I have limited treats as some sites even say no treats are necessary and should even be avoided to get the complete, balanced nutrition from their starter feed.

The one with the cross toe is the smaller one on the right. The one on the left is the trouble maker in the brooder and I suspect is a roo as it is always standing off with someone and then suddenly flies at them. Naughty little chicken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom