Chicken feet

Chelie97

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
So this is a ping one, I have road island red about 14months old had a bad case of bumble foot I preformed the surgery got rid of it but my issue is during her healing time she refused to walk on her hurt foot so I put her in a cage to sleep at night and set her up in an area inside during the day. She broke her toe on her other foot when I let her outside during one of the days and I splinted that toe for 2 weeks but she still refused to use the foot that had bumblefoot. She went for two weeks of not really eating unless I forced her too.Now she only eats very little. Her bumblefoot has healed completely her broken toe on her other foot never healed very well because she was always using that foot. My question is how to get her to use both feet again? She kind of just stands on the broken toe foot and doesn’t mover around I want to put her back with the other chickens but I can’t with her like this. I have had chickens for over 6 years and dealt with bumblefoot before also with sick chickens but nothing like this.

Can you please post photos of her and her feet?

Any lice/mites?
Crop is emptying?
When was her last egg?

I'd work on hydration and see if she can be enticed to eat - try offering wet feed with bits of egg or fish.

Sounds like the foot is not healed or it hurts her for some reason.

I will post photos tomorrow but some days her crop is completely flat at end of day other times it has a little in it. I can’t figure out why her foot still hurts her foot ia no longer swollen and has no sign it had a sore on it. I was only doing hydration for awhile but put food in cage just incase she wanted to eat I have done eggs, yogurt, spring mix(which is her favorite), i have done apples, I even tried albacore etc.. trying to get her to eat but she seems to only eat when I hand feed her but wont do it all the time.

Have you checked her for any signs of injury higher up on her leg?

If she's reluctant to walk on that foot, that tells me that either the bumblefoot hasn't completely healed yet or there is something else causing her reluctance.

I am posting the photos that I was asked about the foot that is wrapped has the broken middle toe I rewrapped in last night to add some padding to hopefully easy the pain since that is the foot she will only stand on. The foot with no wrap is the one that had bumblefoot

Attachments

• IMG_5766.jpeg
    IMG_5766.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5765.jpeg
    IMG_5765.jpeg
    307.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5764.jpeg
    IMG_5764.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5763.jpeg
    IMG_5763.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
I would unwrap the foot with the dressing. Most times, a broken toe does not need taping. The vet wrap has a tendency to slip and become too tight, cutting off circulation, making things much worse. You might try a chicken sling for her for periods throughout the day, placing food and water in front of that, so she is able to get enough to eat. Then remove her for periods so that she can try and walk. Can she move her toes off the foot with the bumblefoot repair? Here are some examples of a chicken sling chair:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

1698517878985.jpeg

I would unwrap the foot with the dressing. Most times, a broken toe does not need taping. The vet wrap has a tendency to slip and become too tight, cutting off circulation, making things much worse. You might try a chicken sling for her for periods throughout the day, placing food and water in front of that, so she is able to get enough to eat. Then remove her for periods so that she can try and walk. Can she move her toes off the foot with the bumblefoot repair? Here are some examples of a chicken sling chair:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

View attachment 3670241
Yes she can move her toes on both feet she will wrap them around my fingers. I was thinking that maybe it was all maybe psychological maybe she was depressed or something.

Back
Top Bottom