3 week old Speckled Sussex gender? UPDATE: 7 week old pics!

Pics
I have the same problem with my 5 week old SS. Her name is/was Susie the Sussex and we just came up with the same nickname "boy named Sue" lol Starting to lean towards girl again, though...Yeah!! Larger comb, but still very flesh color.
How did yours turn out? boy/girl? thanks!

I just wanted to thank the moderators for leaving this thread up. It's been very helpful to have pictures to compare my own Speckled Sussex to, especially as this is my first time with this breed, he/she is my ONLY one of this breed, and I'm not exactly how old he/she was when purchased. I got Sundae from a batch of straight run chicks and picked out the one with the most feathers who was also active and curious. Here's what she looks like:

Front view: She's got a bit of a comb that's yellow with a tinge of pink at the base. Starting to get feathers at the base of wings.

Top view: Getting feathers on her shoulders, flight feathers are in as well.

Side view: Look at that cute tail! Neck feathers are starting to appear.

I'm guessing a 2 1/2 to 3 week old pullet? Any opinions?

i have speckled sussex that are 4 weeks old and yours already has a larger comb, i hope its still a girl for you
fl.gif

Hi, I have 3 Speckled Sussex Chicks that are 3 weeks old now. I was cleaning the brooder and went ahead and took a few pictures. Any Idea if they are Roos or Pullets? Right now I'm guessing I have 2 Roos and 1 Pullet but not positive. Thanks.

Dot

Pox

Spot

Well, I am so thrilled. I finally saw a picture of a speckled Sussex chick and it does look just like mine. I hope it does turn out to look like the pictures I have seen of adult speckled Sussex's. They are really pretty and I think right now my chick is no beauty. I call her the ugly duckling of chickens. She is also tiny. I can't even imagine her ever laying an egg. I call her Little bit. The lady I got her from said she is not a bantam but she sure is small. Thanks for the picture.

As the last few posters have stated, I am so very glad this post was kept up. Thank you to the OP for finally chiming in on the gender of her chick.

I am going through the very same thing with my 7 week old Speckled Sussex.. Ordered 3 chicks from Meyer when I was convinced my first attempt at hatching would only produce one lonely chick so I ordered the Meyer 3 chick minimum and one of them was a speckled Sussex.

I have ordered twice from Meyer, and in my first order of 10 female chicks, I got 9 girls and 1 mis sexed Columbian roo. He turned vicious and I mean vicious at 8 months old.. and he is history. Any way, I figured what are the odds of it happening again, and sure enough... I started seeing quite a pronounced comb and waddles on the SS at 3 weeks.. I posted in every SS gender thread on here, and only got opinions on one of them, and the three posters all thought roo. Only thing is, ,as I read through this thread... the body shape on my SS is like a pullet, but she/he has a very white chest. Tail feather are large and came in early, so that suggests hen too. Just can't get past the large comb and waddles. This one has me guessing every day. Anyone else have any 7/8 week or any age for that matter, SS they are wondering about? I am going to post pictures in the next post as they are on my phone, and going to post from there.

Thanks for reading everyone..
MB

Please feel free to weigh in on your opinions.... thx...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/
d/6421478/width/200/height/400

Here he /she is. I'll try and get better pics soon
Thank you!
MB

pop.gif
idunno.gif
Any one want to help a member out on this one.? I am wondering about the above posts with peeps with Speckled Sussex with gender help.

THanks
mB

Back
Top Bottom